A ferocious storm in February 1894 ripped apart much of the top half of Heage windmill. However, the destruction didn’t prevent the much-loved landmarks sails from spinning for too long. It was rebuilt by George Chell shortly after this photograph was taken, but with six sails instead of four to increase the power.
A lightning strike in 1961 caused damage again, but five years later its future was assured when Derbyshire County Council put a preservation order on the windmill.
Originally constructed in the 1790’s, the mill is now a Grade two listed building. Thanks to a Heritage Lottery Grant the windmill was restored and in working order in 2002, and is cared for by the Heage Windmill Society. Courtesy of Brighouse Collection and www.picturethepast.org.uk