THe sporting ladies from a hockey club are shown in this picture.
A Mercury reader sent in this photograph of the Matlock Baileans Ladies’ Hockey Club.
The ladies’ squad was formed in 1946 and this is the first team to have played for it.
Within their hockey league the girls played against teams from Wirksworth, Derby, Chesterfield, Belper, Buxton and Leek.
The majority of the players were from either Matlock, Matlock Bath or Darley Dale.
The original kit consisted of navy shorts, white blouses and blue socks.
The ladies shown in the picture are Margaret Bowler, Dorothy Owen, Anne Paulson, Kay Locke, Pam Locke, Mary Hazelwood, Mary Cope and Gladys Kirkham.
Umpires Miss Allen and Eleanor Westbrook are also shown.
More than 60 years later the club is still thriving with six adult teams who play at Anthony Gell School, in Wirksworth.