Cool Dave steps in to save man’s life

SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA
SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Belper man Dave Kitchen saved a family member from choking just one day after learning how to save lives on a first aid course.

The operations manager was out for a meal at the Hurt Arms in Ambergate when his partner’s son Jamie Newbery, 35, started choking on a piece of steak.

Cool Dave, having completed a first aid at work course the previous day knew exactly what to do and leapt into action.

After four or five ‘back blows’ the trapped meat was dislodged from Jamie’s windpipe and he was able to breathe normally.

Dave, from Broadholme, said: “Jamie had only taken one mouthful and he just stopped. As soon as he looked at me, his eyes were red and he was making a gagging sound, I knew he was choking.

“I delivered two or three back blows and it was getting quieter as people started to look across.

After the fourth or fifth blow the meat came out and he took a massive gasp of breath. He couldn’t thank me enough afterwards.”

Now Dave, aged 54, is backing a new St John Ambulance campaign to encourage more people to learn basic first aid skills. He continued: “I would recommend everyone to learn first aid – it really can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved.

“ The training I did with St John Ambulance was excellent.”

To get a free copy of a pocket-sized first aid guide text HELP to 80039.