Firefighters’ warning to smokers

FIRE crews in Derbyshire have issued a warning to smokers.

It comes after figures revealed smoking was the biggest single killer in accidental fires. Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service says more than a third of all deaths in house fires are caused by cigarettes.

Smoking in bed or not taking care after drinking alcohol, were often the causes, said a spokesman.

Crews are backing the

‘Put it Out, Right Out’ campaign. They also reminded people to have smoke alarms on every level of their homes.

Station manager, Alan Richmond said: “Every five days, someone dies from a fire caused by cigarettes or smoking materials.”