Homes evacuated following gas leak

0
Have your say

Homes were evacuated in Belper after a garage fire caused a gas leak.

Sixteen people were told to leave their houses on Cherry Tree Avenue just before 10.30pm on Tuesday, December 18.

Fire crews from Ripley, Duffield and Belper tackled the blaze, while the gas board attended to fix the leak.

Crews extinguished the fire by just after 11pm but they remained at the scene for some time after to cool the ashes.

It was not yet known what had caused the fire to break out.