Ilkeston boy, nine, left Bangkok on day of bomb attack

Motorcycles are strewn about after an explosion in Bangkok, Monday, Aug. 17, 2015. A large explosion rocked a central Bangkok intersection during the evening rush hour, killing a number of people and injuring others, police said. (AP Photo/Jerry Harmer)
Motorcycles are strewn about after an explosion in Bangkok, Monday, Aug. 17, 2015. A large explosion rocked a central Bangkok intersection during the evening rush hour, killing a number of people and injuring others, police said. (AP Photo/Jerry Harmer)
  • Youngster had been in capital city for a week
  • He and mother took flight to north of country that morning
  • Father reassures friends that he is fine

The father of a nine-year-old Ilkeston boy who was in Bangkok just hours before a bomb exploded at a tourist hotspot has sent a message via the Advertiser that his son is safe and well.

Richard Stanley’s son Benjamin, a pupil at Hallam Fields Junior School, was with his mother Joy in the Thailand capital visiting tourist attractions in the days leading up the attack.

Just hours before the bomb exploded at the Erawan Shrine the pair had flown from Bangkok airport 500 miles north to Udonthani.

Richard, 67, a retired decorator, said: “Benjamin was with his mother who is a Thai national. She was showing Benjamin the usual sights such as the palace and floating market.

“They had been there for seven days when hours before the bomb went off they went to the airport and flew back to the north of Thailand.

“Both are OK and Benjamin is now back with me.

“He is happy and enjoying himself far away from danger and any political unrest. Nobody at this time knows why it happened, we can only speculate.”

Police in Thailand are now hunting a key suspect who they believe may be linked to the attack. Nobody has yet claimed responsibility for the fatal attack on Monday which killed at least 20 people.