Warning over killer slimming products

A council has warned shoppers in Belper over internet slimming products which have caused three deaths across the country this year.

Derbyshire County Council said fat burners and food supplements containing chemical DNP (2,4 Dinitrophenol) are not fit for human consumption and illegal to use in foodstuffs.

Symptoms of poisoning from the chemical include fever, dehydration, nausea, vomiting, restlessness, flushed skin, sweating, dizziness, headaches, rapid respiration and rapid or irregular heart-beat.

Councillor Dave Allen, Derbyshire County Council Cabinet Member for Health and Communities, said: “It’s tragic that people have died through taking products containing this chemical. We want to raise awareness in Derbyshire of the very real dangers of buying slimming aids or indeed any drug off the internet or through unregulated suppliers.”