With the hustle and bustle of the food fair still fresh in the mind, we hark back to a much quieter time for King Street.
This photo was taken circa 1900 when the Memorial Gardens to the left of the picture were still part of Green Hall, former home of industrialist Jedediah Strutt.
It comes courtesy of the Wood Collection and picturethepast.org
Thanks to Marion Bingham, of Nether Heage, who was able to tell us more about the photo of Progress Cafe which featured in our July 10 edition.
She was able to tell us the cafe was situated on Farnah Green Road and the proprietor was a Mrs D E Glew. As well as running the cafe, Mrs Glew also undertook outside catering and Marion thinks the cafe probably closed in the 1970s.