Belper man burned after barbecue fire spreads

breaking news
breaking news
Share this article

A Belper man was treated for burns after trying to tackle fire which started when a barbecue got out of control.

The blaze broke out at 2.15pm on Sunday at a house on Whitehouse Rise in Belper.

Crews found a five metre-long wooden fence well alight and the fire had spread to two adjoining brick outbuildings and two bikes.

Firefighters used a short extension ladder to gain access and a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.

Cutting gear was used to gain access to the wooden frame of a brick building to ensure the fire had not spread to the roof felt.

The fire was out by 2.40pm and thermal imaging cameras were used to check for hotspots. The man was treated for burns to his arms and hands.

It is believed the blaze was started by a barbecue positioned too close to the fence.