Bomb fear fails to stop family’s charity bid

editorial image

Defiant Belper runners took part in the London Marathon, in spite of the explosions which rocked Boston in the build-up to the event.

A family-of-four who live near the town, as well as five members of Belper Harriers, were among those taking part in the London race on Sunday.

Dave Nunn, who works as a community nurse in Belper along with his wife Alison - who works as a teaching assistant at Horsley Woodhouse School - and two daughters, Harriet, 21, and Kerry, 24, raised more than £2,000 for Cancer Research by completing the course.

They were also interviewed by BBC presenter Denise Lewis at the finish line - as it is believed to be the first time four family members have competed in the event together.

Mr Nunn said the Boston blasts – which saw three people killed and many more injured – were never far from their minds.

“We thought ‘if it happens, it happens’ but we can’t let that affect what we are trying do for the charity,” he said.

“There were tears in our house after the awful and wicked events which took place in Boston and we were worried but thought if we stick together then if it gets one of us it gets all of us.

“The crowds were phenomenal, they picked you up and threw you on to the finish line. The security was tip-top – London does these kind of events really well and in the end it was just an amazing and uplifting experience.”

To donate to the family’s fundraising for Cancer Research visit

Competing in his tenth London Marathon was Mark Riches, 50, of Nottingham Road, Belper.

The Belper Harriers member said: “It was surreal. We had time to gather our thoughts before the race started and as we set off there was an almighty cheer –hopefully America heard that. About 99 per cent of people were wearing the black ribbons in memory of the Boston victims. I was shocked when I heard about what had happened over in Boston, but you can’t let things like that stop you.”

Also taking part in the marathon were Shaun Bott, of Far Laund, Belper, as well as Andy Dakin, of Kilburn. Fellow Harriers Chris Jackson and Rob Wadey, both of Belper, were competing in their first London Marathon.

They followed in the footsteps of Holbrook runner Peter Holton,59, who took part in the Boston Marathon. His family faced an hour-long wait to find out if the father-of-one had been injured after the explosions. The accountant, of Upper Hall Close, was half-a-mile from the finish line when the bombs went off.