Pub aims for more late-night punters

An attempt by a town centre pub landlord to get more late-night drinkers in to his bar has been hit out at by nearby residents.

But Bryn Jones the manager who runs the Nags Head, on High Pavement, in Belper, has been quick to dispel their fears and says their neighbours will notice no difference.

The residents expressed concerns after landlord Martin Crofts submitted an application to Amber Valley Borough Council’s licensing committee to alter the licence to allow customers to go into the pub after 11pm.

Currently, no-one is allowed entry after that time, although the pub is licensed to serve alcohol until 2am. Mr Crofts want the licence changed so he can let drinkers in after 11pm.

One resident, who wants to remain anonymous, begged the Belper News to help and said: “I am horrified to learn that the Nags Head has applied for lifting their current regulations.

“This will mean that in addition to current disturbances from the drunks who already turn out causing damage to vehicles, broken bottles and glasses, urinating anywhere, fighting, shouting and using bad language, they now want to keep their doors open to allow any drunk in until 2.30am!

“Why should, collectively, all the drunks of Belper arrive in our area?”

Mr Jones said that trouble on High Pavement was generally the fault of people coming up from the town centre.

“High Pavement is a main thoroughfare,” said Mr Jones. “There are people going up there until 4.30am, sometimes later, from other places in Belper that open later.

“I can assure anyone who lives in this area that changing the licence will not make any difference. This pub is always closed on time and we are in bed for 3am.

“Yes, there are sometimes fights on High Pavement, but they are nothing to do with this pub.

“The police have told us we are not even on their radar.”

The application for the variation of a premises licence for the Nags Head is currently in the consultation period.

If anyone wishes to make representations in connection with the application they must write to The Licensing Clerk, Amber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT.

All representations need to be received by Friday, September 9, if they are to be considered.