COURT: Workers injured after fracas at takeaway

Two young men have been brought to justice after they were involved in a fracas at a takeaway which left two workers injured.

Thursday, 7th April 2016, 1:28 pm
Updated Thursday, 7th April 2016, 1:31 pm
Gavel and scales

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, April 6, how Richard Miller, 20, was abusive and threatening during a visit to the Bolsover Express, on Market Place, and Jack Wood, 19, assaulted the takeaway owner and a member of staff.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said an unnamed male originally came into the takeaway and paid for a pizza but swore at staff and demanded to know where his food was before he was given his money back and left.

Mrs Allsop added: “This male is not before the courts and is still being sought by police.

“Miller came into the takeaway ten or 15 minutes later demanding to know who had smashed his little brother and he was verbally abusive.

“Two more males then came in including Wood and as Miller was shouting Wood was seen to throw items over the counter including a sign, a bin and a can.”

The court heard how the can hit one of the staff in the face and he suffered a swollen eye and the owner was hit by the sign and suffered a cut to his wrist.

Miller, of Grangewood Road, Chesterfield, and Wood, of Davian Way, Chesterfield, were shown CCTV footage of the incident and both accepted that they were involved in the incident on Friday, March 25.

Wood confirmed he had thrown things without justification and blamed the influence of alcohol and Miller accepted he had been aggressive towards the staff without good reason.

Wood pleaded guilty to committing two assaults and Miller pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour. Miller also admitted breaching a suspended prison sentence order imposed for previous driving offences.

Defence solicitor Kirsty Sargent said Wood had accepted everything seen on the CCTV footage and she requested a probation report for magistrates to consider all his circumstances before sentencing.

Felicity Coats, defence solicitor for Miller, said he had only been verbally aggressive and had not thrown anything and had later tried to calm his friends down.

Magistrates opted not to activate Miller’s current suspended prison sentence because of the progress he is making with the probation service but they extended it by another four weeks.

However, they imposed a further eight-week custodial sentence suspended for 12 months for the threatening behaviour offence with 80 hours of unpaid work.

Miller was also ordered to pay £85 costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

Wood’s case was adjourned until April 13 to consider a probation report before he is sentenced.

He was released on conditional bail on the grounds he does not go to Bolsover Express or contact the complainants.