Warning to revellers over Bonfire Night

PUBLIC health officials from NHS Derbyshire are urging people in Derbyshire to stay safe on Bonfire Night to avoid injuries and unnecessary trips to A&E.

A spokesman said fireworks are explosives, which burn at high temperatures – and dozens of people, particularly children, get scarred, burned or even killed from them each year.

He urged people to follow a few simple precautions – to ensure a fun night out doesn’t end up as a trip to the emergency department.

These include buying fireworks from a reputable retailer, never buying illegal fireworks, looking out for the CE mark or BS7114 on firework packaging, reading firework instructions carefully and in daylight, and ensuring a child under the age of five never handles a sparkler.

Dr Bruce Laurence, acting director of public health for NHS Derbyshire, said: “We want everyone to have a fun, safe Fireworks night. Good preparation is vital, particularly if you are planning a garden display, as many more people are injured at private parties than at large public displays. Supervising children at all times, never buying illegal fireworks, never lighting a firework by a naked flame and keeping guests well back when fireworks are lit during a private display, will help ensure everyone enjoys a memorable night out for all the right reasons.”

Figures show that more children than adults get hurt by fireworks. It is illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to buy a firework.

For further fireworks and bonfire safety advice visit www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/InYourHome/FireSafety/DG_064665.