A six-year-old boy from Belper who fearlessly dialed 999 when his mum collapsed at their home has been presented with an award by paramedics to recognise his courageous actions.
George Mart was at home with his mum Leanne when she became unconscious and collapsed.
Only five years old at the time, George bravely picked up the phone and dialed 999 where he calmly spoke to call handler Bryan Cox.
He answered all of Bryan’s questions and looked after his mum and two-year-old sister, Rosha, until an ambulance arrived.
Thankfully, Leanne has made a full recovery, but is filled with gratitude for her youngest son for raising the alarm and calling an ambulance for her.
Leanne said: “George knows to call 999 if mummy is poorly, and he was so good on the phone. I am so proud of him.”
Following the drama, Bryan nominated George for an East midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) Laverick Bravery award which acknowledges young people for courage.
George was presented the award on Friday, March 16 in an assembly at Herbert Strutt Primary School, Belper, where his mum and Bryan were also in attendance.
The EMAS Laverick Award, which recognises children and young adults who have gone the extra mile to help another, is in memory of Nick Laverick - a paramedic and team leader who sadly lost his battle with cancer on his 37th birthday in September 2013.
Nick’s friends and colleagues decided to continue his legacy through the award.
Paramedic Kathy Farmer, who is part of the Laverick Team expressed her admiration for George.
She said: “ George is truly deserving of this award. We are honoured to be sharing Nick’s legacy through this award.”