House fire in Belper

A LIGHTED cigarette started a blaze in a Belper house on Sunday.

The female occupant of the house on Bobbin Way fell asleep with a burning cigarette and when she awoke the curtains were on fire.

Station manager Pete Maltby said: “We really don’t recommend smoking in bed. But the lady did the right thing - she ran out of the room and shut the door behind her and got us out.”

The alarm was raised at 6.55pm but the fire spread quickly, melting the plastic window frames and the solder on the radiators, which caused water damage. Four firefighters wore breathing apparatus as they battled the flames, and later ventilated the property. Crews left the scene at 9.20pm.