A fire which claimed the life of a 69-year-old man was caused by combustible materials being left too close to a heater, an investigation has found.
George Hall died in the blaze at a farm house on Pilsley Road, Morton, on Wednesday evening. His dog managed to escape the fire.
A joint investigation conducted by Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service and Derbyshire Constabulary has now concluded that the most probable cause of the fire was combustible materials being left too close to a portable electric heater.
The fire service is now reminding residents of safety advice in relation to portable heaters:
• Never dry clothes close to, or on portable heaters
• Keep portable heaters away from any furniture and soft furnishings
• Portable heaters should be secure to prevent them falling over.
And homeowners are also being reminded of the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted on every level of the home. Alarms should also be checked on a weekly basis and people should ensure they also have a planned and practiced escape plan.