Shirley relives trauma caused by daughter’s horror crash

Share this article

The mother of a teenage girl who was seriously injured after being struck by a car has described the devastating impact the incident has had on her life.

Shirley Holmes, 39, of Fritchley, suffered every parent’s worst nightmare when her daughter Paige was knocked over in Cromford in August 2010.

Paige suffered such traumatic head injuries that doctors did not know if she would survive.

And Shirley and dad Ali were given the heartbreaking decision whether to turn off her life support machine.

But now over two years later Paige, 16, has learnt to walk and talk again and is set to study beauty therapy at college.

However, since the crash Shirley has suffered debilitating bouts of depression and post traumatic stress disorder.

She said: “Seeing Paige lying on the road covered in blood with paramedics working to save her life has had a massive impact on me, something I don’t think I will ever get over.”

Shirley moved in to Sheffield Children’s Hospital after the accident and did not return home for three months.

The mum-of-three said she used to be very relaxed but was now scared of travelling in cars, did not sleep or eat well and smoked too much.

She said: “I put all my energy in to seeing Paige get better but now even if I see a child at the edge of the pavement it makes my heart go.

“I suffer bad nightmares about burying my children.

“If they go out now I constantly panic and have fitted their phones with trackers.”

Doctors said Paige’s brain injury was something akin to shaken baby syndrome.

She opened her eyes for the first time three weeks after the crash and for days her parents had no idea whether she even recognised them as she did not speak or respond to questions.

Shirley hopes her family’s ordeal will show the devastating consequences road accidents can have.

She continued: “Motorists have people’s lives in their hands when they are on the roads.”

Barry Buckley, of Holt Drive, Matlock, was fined £250 and banned from driving for 12 months in September 2010 after admitting driving without due care and attention on the night of the crash.