Bedworth are battered by buoyant Belper

Jon Froggatt steals in to complete his hat-trick against Bedworth United on Saturday. Photo by Tim Harrison.
Jon Froggatt steals in to complete his hat-trick against Bedworth United on Saturday. Photo by Tim Harrison.

Belper Town produced something close to a perfect 90 minute footballing performance at Christchurch Meadow on Saturday afternoon.

Simon Harrison was at the heart of it, Jon Froggatt was up and on the end of it and Mark Ward continued his marvellous string of performances on the field as the Nailers scored six goals against a sorry Bedworth United.

The first came after just nine minutes following a dominant start in their opponents’ half. Chris Adam took a quick throw in on the left hand side up to Ward, who turned well and produced a fine low cross for Froggatt at the back post to volley home and keep up his remarkable goal scoring form.

Two more chances fell for the Nailers shortly after, with Harrison snatching at a cutback from Sam Duncum for the ball to roll into the keeper’s arms, and Steve Warne shooting over from 20 yards.

The second goal then came on the 21st minute and was arguably the best of the game.

It was delightful football which again saw the combination of Ward and Froggatt leaving their opponents with no answer. Gareth Davies played the ball forward for Ward down the right hand channel. Ward then held the ball up well and produced a cross with the outside of his right foot which was weighted wonderfully for Froggatt to bring the ball down and fire into the top right hand corner, across the face of the goal.

Bedworth created their first good chance on the 29th minute when Brad Munn’s effort struck the frame of the goal, but Belper were soon three up when Davies chipped the ball up for Ward on the right hand side who headed the ball on first time into the path of Harrison who struck the ball on the half volley first time into the net.

The first 15 minutes of the second-half brought three more goals for the Nailers.

The first came just three minutes in as Jon Froggatt completed his hat-trick with a powerful header from Harrison’s corner, and a minute later it was 5-0 as Chris Jones fizzed a ball in and Ward scored at the second attempt after initially hitting the post.

The sixth came on 61 minutes as Davies played a defence-splitting pass through to Froggatt to the right and he cut inside to hit a screaming effort into the top left hand corner to put the Nailers into dream land.

With the Nailers temporarily down to nine men due to a clash of heads between Luke Beatson and Jones, United sub Tris Whitman stole in at the back post to volley the ball in and give the Bedworth fans a small consolation to cheer.

The visitors then got a second in stoppage time when David Blenkinsopp was played through and poked the ball past Dave Ratcliffe from close range, but Belper’s fourth consecutive win was safe.