Meadows seconds make it into final but first team misses out

There is to be no repeat of last season’s Wright Cup success for Belper Meadows 1sts as the defending champions exited the competition on Sunday at the semi-finals stage.

With the tantalising prospect of a final against local rivals Belper Amateurs a possibility, Meadows were unable to make it beyond the last four.

They were up against hosts Rolls-Royce Leisure and it is the Derby-based side who will now meet Amateurs in the final.

Meadows lost the toss and bowled first. The home side was dismissed for 184 in 43.4 overs.

Dan Kelly and David Jenkins both took three wickets each.

In reply, Kelly made 34 but Belper Meadows were eventually bowled out for 106 to lose the game by 78 runs.

n However, there there is still a chance of some cup silverware being won at Belper Meadows as the 2nds made it through to the final of the Harry Lund Cup thanks to a victory on Sunday at Burton CC.

After making the trip south to east Staffordshire, Meadows saw their hosts win the toss and bowl first.

In a low-scoring game, batting proved to be a tough proposition for both sides but Belper Meadows at least managed to get into three figures to give themselves something to bowl at.

A total of 112 all out in 40.3 overs included 17 and 24 respectively by openers James Fowler and Ben Mills, plus 28 from skipper Phil Hudson and 14 from Richard Howis.

Haseeb Tajmal took 4-19 for Burton.

In reply, Burton got off to a shocking start that they never recovered from.

None of the top seven batsmen managed to get into double figures, a collection of scores that include three ducks.

Lower down the order, there was some belated resistance from Ben Clarke with 25 and Ben Egginton with 13 not out but Burton were dismissed for 83 to confirm a 29-run victory and book a place in the final for Belper Meadows.

Opening bowlers Michael Cooper and Dave Boyes took 3-22 and 4-19 to get Meadows off to a sensational start.

Richard Howis also took two wickets.

n Denby’s Derbyshire Premier League game at Dunstall on Saturday barely got going before the rain intervened.

Dunstall had reached 49-2 in 12.4 overs when the match came to a premature end.