Evan Garnett and Adam Yates in action in the Belper v Matlock game,''Photo by Tim Harrison
Evan Garnett and Adam Yates in action in the Belper v Matlock game,''Photo by Tim Harrison

Belper Town followed Saturday’s 2-2 draw with FC United of Manchester by earning another point, this time at home to Matlock on Monday.

The Nailers looked comfortable throughout the game but conceded two late goals to disappointingly drop two points.

Manager Peter Duffield gave Evan Garnett his first competitive start of the season after making a good impact against FC United of Manchester.

It was the first time these two sides had met in a league fixture since the 2002-03 season.

In front of a good crowd of 475, Matlock earned a penalty in the 16th minute when a cross from the right by Jason Stokes hit the arm of Chris Jones inside the penalty box. Danny Holland stepped up to strike the ball, aiming for the keeper’s left, with James Martin making a terrific save, holding on well to deny an opening goal.

The Nailers then took the lead after 27 minutes when an Ian Ross corner was floated in towards the near post, where Regan Edridge rose to glance the ball into the near post.

The Nailers got their second just a minute later. Aaron Cole picked the ball up in the middle and picked his pass towards Evan Garnett. Garnett then jinked inside and out and squared the ball across the box to the unmarked Rob Stevenson whose initial shot was saved by keeper Kennedy, but the rebound came back to the number 11 who slotted the ball into the empty net.

Matlock replied just three minutes later, with Danny Holland atoning for his earlier penalty miss to half the deficit for the away side.

Jason Stokes beat Aaron Pride down the left and curled a delicious ball in for Holland, whose header from point blank range found its way above Martin, to silence the home crowd.

Evan Garnett continued to terrorise Matlock’s defence, with two good efforts coming late in the first half. The first was a neat flick towards goal from an Aaron Cole cross which landed just over the bar with the goalkeeper beaten, and the second a curling left footed shot which was parried over the bar by Kennedy.

The second half began perfectly for the Nailers, with a goal after 48 minutes for Evan Garnett, re-instating their two-goal lead.

Indeed it was Garnett who began the move with a neat flick on to Jon Froggatt, who in turn played in Rob Stevenson on the left-hand side. Stevenson then drove towards goal, firing his shot on target, only for the keeper to parry the ball into the path of Garnett, to steer the ball home for his second goal in two games.

Then, when the scoreline was looking a fair reflection on the game, the Nailers began to sit back and invite pressure onto their defence, and the comeback began for Matlock Town in the 86th minute.

Micky Harcourt swung in a corner and Danny Holland steered in a free header.

Then, on the 92nd minute, a long punt up the field was misjudged by the Nailers back line, allowing the ball to bounce. Lavell White chested the ball into the path of Jason Stokes, who poached the all-important equaliser.