Belper 2-0 Trafford - report

Belper v Trafford, Pic by Tim Harrison
Belper v Trafford, Pic by Tim Harrison

The Nailers drew the curtains on their one season stint in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League with a victory over Trafford FC.

It was only their sixth league victory of the campaign that has seen three managers try and fall short of making a genuine impact to keep the Nailers afloat in the division.

The positive for the season has been the attendance at all the clubs’ matches, which has seen an average of 308 supporters walk through the turnstiles at the Marston’s Stadium for each fixture.

Manager Jimmy Albans named the same starting 11 that drew away at Marine last weekend, with Supporters Player of the Season, Steve Warne, retaining his place in the side.

Indeed it was the Nailers who owned the game from start to finish, creating a number of chances and scoring twice without reply.

However, the visitors were almost gifted a goal after just three minutes when Ben Turner’s timely tackle inside the box led to the ball hitting the inside of the post before being cleared well by Miller.

Evan Garnett had a good opportunity minutes later after making space on the left hand side, which saw him cut in and shoot on target, with ‘keeper Read making a good save at his near post.

The Nailers then took the lead five minutes before half time in a 45 minutes which yielded few chances for either side.

A good move down the left hand side saw Belper captain Wilson link up well with Stevenson, who in turn looped a perfectly weighted cross into the six yard box where Jonathan Williams ghosted in to strike a low volley into the back of the net for his second goal in as many games.

The second half began with good intent from the home side as Laurie Wilson came close from the edge of the box, striking the ball low, with the Trafford stopper making a good save to deny him.

The Nailers then made it 2-0 on the 58th minute as goal scorer Williams turned provider on this occasion to set up Paul Grimes.

The ball was worked up well from the back and Williams played a neat chip over the defender for Grimes to latch on to.

The number nine showed good strength to hold off the defender, before slotting the ball past Read from ten yards out, in to the bottom left corner.

Two minutes later, Rob Stevenson won the ball back in a dangerous area and curled a fierce shot towards the far post which was deflected out for a corner kick, showing Trafford’s defensive frailties.

Scott Matthews then came close from the resulting corner as he played a short corner and had the ball returner before drilling his effort from outside the box, only to hit the side netting.

Garnett and substitute Nabil Shariff both had good chances to make it three after being played through inside the penalty area, but both failed to make it count.

Trafford then finished the game with their only two chances of the half which saw Lawrence Taylor shoot just wide of the far right post from the edge of the box, before James Clancy volleyed the ball over the bar from six yards out.

Belper Town: Haystead, Turner, Matthews, Miller, Watt, Warne (Towey 88), Wilson, Williams, Grimes (Nabil Shariff 71), Evan Garnett (Jon Froggatt 71), Rob Stevenon. Subs: Paul Lister, Matthew Varley.

Trafford: Read, Riley, Doughty, Chalmers, Jones (Heathcote 67), Andrews, Black, Blake (Taylor 62), Derbyshire (Clancy 67), Pritchard, Smith. Subs: Smart, Palmer.

Referee: John Matthews (Stockton On Tees)

Attendance: 206