Belper Town beaten at the death by Ramsbottom

Scott Matthews fires wide after seven minutes. Pic by Tim Harrison
Scott Matthews fires wide after seven minutes. Pic by Tim Harrison

Belper Town continued their run of conceding late goals as they were beaten 2-1 by an 88th minute winner for Ramsbottom.

Ramsbottom took the lead in the first half after a nondescript 45 minutes through winger Tom Brookes.

The Nailers then improved dramatically in the second half and finally got their just rewards on the 86th minute through a Michael Towey equaliser, before conceding a goal just 90 seconds later to let their good work slip once more.

Captain Phil Watt and midfielder Laurier Wilson served their first of a two game suspension and were unavailable for selection, while Ian Ross captained the side on his final Nailers appearance.

Scott Matthews had the best two chances of the half for Belper as he volleyed in to the side netting on the seventh minute, before hitting the post with a fierce effort.

But it was the visitors who took the lead on the 32nd minute with best move of the game.

Neville picked up possession on the left hand side and switched his pass to the right on the edge of the box.

Mikendi then produced a brilliant first time flick to set up Tom Brookes in a central position, who drove his first time shot low in to the bottom left corner.

Haystead was called in to action either side of half time in one-on-one situations and came out on top both times to keep the Nailers in the game.

The home side then pushed on in the second half and pegged the Rams back without creating many clear-cut opportunities.

However, on the 86th minute, Belper finally got the goal they were after through good set piece play.

Ian Ross delivered a free kick from deep on the right hand side where Miller flicked the ball on and Michael Towey glanced his header in to the far left corner, beyond the reach of the ‘keeper.

Optimists could have been forgiven for thinking this may have been the Nailers chance to snatch it late on as the momentum swung in their favour.

However, before they could blink for comfort, Ramsbottom went directly down the other end and stunned Belper to another defeat.

Donal McDermott received a pass on the left and skipped past Varley to find himself one-on-one with Haystead with twenty yards still to run.

McDermott remained composed as he entered the penalty area, and bent his low shot past Haystead in to the bottom left corner.

Belper: Haystead, Turner, Matthews, Lister, Miller, Varley, Williams (Stevenson 63), Ross, Grimes (Froggatt 63), Shariff, Towey. Subs: Steve Warne

Ramsbottom United: Shenton, Harrop, Neville, Burke (Edgehill 87), Ayres, Boyer, Brookes (Heron 68), Kuba-Kuba, Mukendi, Gaskell (Rother 68), McDermott. Bennett, Robinson.

Attendance: 225