Belper Town beaten by Ashton United


The Nailers came up short as they were beaten 4-3 in an epic battle away to Ashton.

Goals from Bruno Holden, Ashley Burbeary and an own goal weren’t enough to earn anything from the game, as the home side scored four times to take all three points.

The game begin perfectly for Belper as they took the lead in the 14th minutes following a bright start to the game.

Ian Ross, who filled in at centre half for the injured Phil Watt, spread a neat ball out to the right to the unmarked Rob Stevenson. S

tevenson then found a good floated cross where Towey headed the ball into the path of Bruno Holden to volley the ball home over the onrushing goalkeeper.

The Nailers lead didn’t last more than 60 seconds as the Robins stuck back directly from kick off.

The ball was worked to the right hand side for the dangerous Coppin, who fizzed a cross low across the box where Lee Rick arrived to slot the ball home from close range.

Belper then began to struggle in the next period of the game as the home side took a dominating lead.

Their next goal came on the 32nd minute in rather basic fashion as far as Belper are concerned.

Copping received the ball on the left hand side and played a square ball back to Chris Baguley who fired a shot from 25 yards which landed low into the bottom right corner, beyond the debutant goalkeeper Jamie Green.

The home side then struck again three minutes later to go thee-one up.

Rick swung a corner in from the left which went all the way over to the right for Hill. Hill then worked the ball back in to the box where defender Sam Wilson was on hand to smash the ball in from eight yards.

The Nailers had a point to prove in the second half and almost did so in spectacular fashion.

After 15 minutes of Belper pressure, they got their goal to edge back in to the game on the hour mark.

Cotton played a good ball out to the right for Stevenson, who played Goulding in towards the by-line. Goulding then played a low cross which found Ashley Burbeary, eight yards out, to fire the ball in to the back of the net, and give Belper hope.

Ten minutes later, the Nailers got their equaliser in rather fortunate circumstances.

Burbeary whipped a corner in from the left hand side which saw an effort stopped on the line by the defender to smash the ball away, only for his attempted clearance to hit the back of Sam Wilson and divert back in to the net for an own goal by the man who has scored the Robins third goal in the first half.

However, a sobering moment for the Nailers occurred eight minutes from time as Ashton took the lead once more to eventually win the game.

Johnson found space on the edge of the box and drilled a shot close to Green, who could only parry the ball in to the path of substitute Josh Steadman to poke home from six yards out, and ensure the high flyers would take all three points.

Ashton United: Modlinsky, Wilson, Pearson, Gorton, Higgins, Young, Rick, Baguley (Haslam 53), Johnson, Coppin (Steadman 64), Hill (Vincent 90). Subs: Halford.

Belper Town: Green, Goulding, Varley, Warne, Adams, Rosss, Burbeary (James 77), Towey, Holden, Cotton, Stevenson (Froggatt 85). Subs: Ward, Jones, Martin.

Referee: Chris Isherwood

Attendance: 128