Belper Town blow victory against Trafford FC with last kick of game

editorial image

The Nailers conceded with the final kick of the ball to lose out on a vital three points away at Trafford FC.

It was the visitors who started the better side and dominated the majority of the game.

The first chance came after eight minutes when Belper pressed Trafford high up the field to win the back 25 yards from goal after Towey had his shot cleared off the line.

However, it was the home side who took the lead against the run of play on the 21st minute.

Mason picked up possession deep inside his own half and sprayed a lovely pass to find Shelton Payne who smashed home.

Belper continued to create chances, with Stevenson volleying over and Holden forcing a save out of Read with a back post header.

Trafford soon grew into the game again as Fallon created his side’s second chance of the game after 37 minutes.

Fallon picked up possession and cut in to drill a Low shot which Martin tipped the ball away for a corner kick.

Directly from the corner, Fallon curled the ball to the edge of the box where Heron drove his volley just wide.

A final chance of the half came for Froggatt after Watt drove a header back in to the box, where the number nine lashed a low volley on target, only for Read to make a smart save to deny him.

The second half produced three late goals in a grandstand finish to the game.

The Nailers struck their equaliser on the 77th minute through the reliable Jon Froggatt.

Varley won a challenge high in the Trafford half and played the ball to Froggatt, who turned well on to his left foot and curled an effortless strike in to the bottom corner, .

Belper then thought they had smashed home the winner in the 91st minute through a wonder goal from substitute Glyn Cotton.

After late pressure from the Nailers, Cotton lashed in an unexpected effort to the top corner which left the goal frame shaking and put Belper in the lead.

However, for a second week running, Belper conceded a late goal to squander three points, this time with the final kick of the game.

Trafford won a throw-in on the left hand side high in the Belper half.

As the ball was sent in, the home side were the first to react, and the ball dropped for Luke Herron who fired in the equaliser to earn his side a point.

Trafford FC: Read, Moyo, Smart, Mason, Bayunu, Palmer, Payne (Hackney 84), Fallon, Oates (Harper 75), Ahern (Mack 57), Heron. Subs: Harrop, Chalmers.

Belper Town: Martin, Goulding, Varley, Towey (Cotton 67), Watt, Adams, Pride, Warne, Froggatt, Holden, Stevenson. Subs: James, Jones, Ratcliffe.

Referee: Mr P Gooch (Wigan).

Attendance: 159.