Belper Town chuck away lead as Ilkeston FC turn on second-half style

The Nailers were punished by a crazy 10 minutes which saw Ilkeston score three goals to turn the game on its head as Jimmy Albans took charge of his first Belper game.

Albans made changes to the Belper team as Chris Jones was brought back in to the defence and Ashley Burbeary came in in place of Bruno Holden.

The game began perfectly for Belper as they took the lead after 16 minutes.

Burbeary swung in a corner from the left which was headed on by Stevenson at the near post.

Liam Goulding then arrived at the back post to side foot a volley in to the top corner.

The Nailers then took good control of the game and forced the Robins in to mistakes.

Belper then doubled their lead on the half hour mark through the impressive Rob Stevenson.

The ball was worked in to the Ilkeston half and Maguire sought to clear the ball from danger.

However, his clearance hit the back of his own player and fell into Stevenson’s path down the left hand side.

Stevenson then marched towards the ball and beat the on-rushing ‘keeper to find the target from a difficult angle, putting his side in the driving seat for the remainder of the first half.

Burbeary soon had two opportunities go begging, as the first was blocked from inside the box and the second steered just wide on the half volley.

The game saw a swing in the pendulum in the second half as the Robins fought back to take all three points.

The first goal came from a mistake at the back from Belper which led to Rob Duffy finding space left of centre on the edge of the box, before sliding the ball beyond Green into the back of the net after 63 minutes.

Two minutes later Ilkeston were awarded a penalty after Green fouled Duffy inside the box.

Rob Duffy stepped up to take the penalty and placed it neatly in to the bottom left, beating Green who had gone the right way.

The comeback was complete on the 73rd minute after a good one-two down the right hand side between Hunter and Shaw, which saw the latter fizz a first time low cross across the box, where Rob Duffy arrived to snatch the hat trick.

The game was played out in a slower tempo for the remaining fifteen minutes as Ilkeston killed the pace of the game in good style, to earn all three points on the Boxing Day clash.

Belper Town: Green, Jones (Varley 90), Pride, Goulding, Watt, Adams, Towey, Warne (Cotton 75), Stevenson, Burbeary, Ross. Subs: Froggatt, James, Martin.

Ilkeston FC: Smith, Reid, Shaw, Wright, Maguire, Baker, Morgan, Chettle, Duffy, Williams (Eli Bakl 45), Hunter. Subs: Hodgett-Young, Garnett, Simons, Gordan.

Referee: Nicholas Hopton (Alvaston)

Attendance: 556