Belper Town easily beaten by Stourbridge

editorial image

The Nailers suffered another torrid defeat at the Marston’s Stadium after they were beaten by 4-0 by Stourbridge.

Player manager Jon Froggatt was unable to take part on the field due a late injury, meaning Evan Garnett deputised in his place.

Belper chances were few and far between, and their first chance came after 22 minutes, which was spurned by number nine Evan Garnett.

Ian Ross produced a good turn inside his own half and drilled a lovely diagonal pass out to Garnett.

The ball was then laid off to Rob Stevenson who paced down the wing and cut a brilliant cross back into the path of Garnett who drove the shot first time. Dean Coleman made a good save, but could only palm it back into Garnett’s feet, who struck his second attempt, aiming central into the ‘keepers reach, who again made the save, and this time kept a firm hand on it.

Stourbridge then hit the post moments later through Kayelden Brown, who missed his chance from seven yards.

But it proved merely academic for the Nailers as the visitors got their opening goal after 29 minutes.

A free-kick from deep towards the right was swung in to the centre of the box with pace, where Kayelden Brown glanced his header towards the far corner, beyond the reach of Martin.

Stourbridge got their second goal on the stroke of half-time after more good work by Brown.

The Nailers forced the ball up the field, but possession turned over on the edge of the box. Brown then collected the ball and made a powerful run from the inside left some 40 yards down the field. Then, laying the ball off to Jordan Fitzpatrick, the striker opened his body up and drove a fine effort into the bottom left corner, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

The Nailers attempted a strong beginning to the second half, but a third goal for Stourbridge proved to knock the stuffing out of the home side after 65 minutes.

This time, a corner from the left hand side was whipped in with pace by Will Richards. The ball then faded over the head of the defender, into the path of Kristian Ramsey-Dickson on the far side, who took a touch, before drilling the ball into the roof of the net, putting the game to bed.

The visitors got their fourth and final goal ten minutes later, with a speculative effort from Drew Canavan.

The ball was worked out to the left hand side where Canavan picked up possession. Then, cutting inside, the number 10 produced a brilliant curling effort from 25 yards, which rose over the head of Martin, and looped in to the far corner, digging into the sorrows of Belper Town.

Belper Town: James Martin, Aaron Pride, Bruno Holden, Ian Ross, Chris Jones, Richard Adams, Aaron Cole, Steve Warne, Evan Garnett, Glyn Cotton, Rob Stevenson. Subs: Mark Ward, Matt Varley, Regan Edridge, Scott James, Scot Low.

Stourbridge: Dean Coleman, Andre Francis, Kristian Ramsey-Dickson, Paul McCone, Brian Smikle, Reece Hayles, Kyle Haynes, Will Richards, Kayelden Brown, Drew Canavan, Jordan Fitzpatrick. Subs: Joshua Morgan-Parker, Tom Berwick, Jean-Michel Gueyes, Sam Tye.

Referee: David Sullivan (Sheffield)

Attendance: 182