Belper Town fail to find spark during goal-less draw with Lincoln United

editorial image

A miserable afternoon at The Marston’s Stadium was not made any more pleasant by a poor showing as Belper Town were held 0-0 by Lincoln United.

The Nailers best chances came from the dangerous Rob Stevenson 15 minutes from time he ran almost the full length of pitch and crossed the ball to Alex Steadman who half-volleyed onto the post.

Just minutes later Stevenson was off down the left wing again as he cut inside and curled the ball across goal only to see Sam Vince in the Lincoln goal tip his effort onto the opposite post.

Belper tested Vince a couple more times in the second half, with Steadman driving a shot at goal and Stevenson seeing another effort well saved by Vince.

United’s best chance arguably came on the hour mark when full-back Jordan Lemon whipped an inviting ball into the box, but Jack McGovern could not stretch far enough to get his head on the ball.

The away sides other chances fell to Lemon and former Nailer Ben Fairclough. Lemon had the game’s first chance after just three minutes, he collected Rob Norris’ through ball down the right channel but his effort was blocked by Danny Haystead.

Fairclough had a brilliant chance to score against his former employers, he miskicked Nathan Whitehead’s pull back from just outside the six yard box and Lee Cooksey cleared the ball before he could get it under control.

In-form Evan Garnett was evidently disappointed with his own performance as he was substituted fifteen minutes before the end, his only real chance came just before the hour mark when he played a neat one-two with Stevenson but his cross from the right evaded everyone.

Captain Eric Graves had an effort from distance half way through the first half which whistled just past the post, his left footed drive was deflected as the ‘keeper was rooted to the spot.

Belper Town: Haystead, Allen, Cole, Williams, Cooksey, Watt, Stevenson, Graves, Garnett (Shannon-Lewis 75 mins), Watkis, Steadman.

Unused subs: Hemagou, Minott, Simpson, Mansfield.

Lincoln United: Vince, Lemon (Parker 78 mins), Smith, Toyne (Brookes 45 mons), Jacklin, Gibson, Cotton, McGovern, Whitehead, Norris, Fairclough.

Unused subs: Cann, McDaid, Wright.

Attendance: 284.

Referee: Adam Burgess (Killamarsh).