Belper Town fall to ten-man Worksop

Evo-Stik League

Doodson Cup, third round

Belper Town 1, Worksop Town 3

(after extra time)

BELPER Town manager Peter Duffield saw his side lose for the third game in a row as they exited the League Cup after an extra time defeat.

Worksop took the lead after only three minutes when Sam Duncum scored. He had already been denied by a fine block in the first minute but later he went past full back Luke Chambers before cutting in and firing the opening goal past Andy Richmond.

The visitors went close again when Luke Sharry saw a left-footed shot smack against a post before being cleared.

Belper hit back and Jon Froggatt saw a shot skim past a post before Luke Fedorenko shot narrowly wide.

The Nailers drew level on 28 minutes when Jordan Turner fired past Jan Zolna.

Duncum was denied again by the legs of Richmond and Danny Davidson had a shot blocked.

Early in the second half Jamie Smith clipped the Worksop crossbar and Zolna denied substitute Aaron Pride with a good save.

The tie blew up on 59 minutes as Roberts was shown a straight red card by referee Mr Gratton for what can only be deemed an unlawful challenge on Fedorenko.

Six minutes later Worksop manager Simon Clark was removed from the bench by the match official after he protested too strongly over a tackle from Aaron Pride on Warlow which brought just a yellow card.

To confound matters, the referee made Warlow leave the field despite the fact the trainer did not attend.

Both teams went looking for a winner in normal time but Worksop’s ten men survived and could have won it.

Both sides tried for the winner in normal time but the ten men survived and could have won it.

Seven minutes into extra time, Tigers substitute Jamie Jackson was adjudged to have been brought down in the penalty area and Owain Warlow made no mistake from the spot to put the visitors 2-1 up.

Having used all of their substitutes, Belper also went down to ten men after Jon Froggatt succumbed to a shoulder injury.

Belper’s exit from the competition was sealed three minutes from the end of extra time when Jackson scored despite appearing to be well offside in the move leading up to him netting.

Belper Town: Andy Richmond, Luke Chambers (Aaron Pride 20), Damien Magee, Jamie Smith, Richard Adams, Greg Wright, Luke Federenko (Scott Ellis 66), Ben Leonard, Jon Froggatt, Jordan Turner (Lee Whittington 84), Joaquin Ortuno. Substitutes not used: Deon Meikle and Tom Turner.

Worksop Town: Jan Zolna, Chris Wood, Owain Warlow, Matt Young, James Cotterill, Marc Roberts, Massiah McDonald (Jamie Jackson 77), Luke Sharry, Gavin Allott (Gregg Taylor 100), Danny Davidson (Luke Shiels 67), Sam Duncum. Sent off: Worksop Town - Marc Roberts (59).

Referee: Mr D Gratton.

Attendance: 111.