Belper Town pick up latest draw against Witton Albion

Nabil Shariff puts the Witton defence under pressure. Pic by Tim Harrison
Nabil Shariff puts the Witton defence under pressure. Pic by Tim Harrison

Belper Town played out their third successive draw in a week after a 0-0 draw at Witton Albion.

The clean sheet was Jimmy Albans’ first since taking over the club as Belper, who have dropped 17 points due to late goals already this season, held out without any late drama.

Belper were marginally the better side throughout, but were unable to create a clear-cut opportunity.

Ross has the first effort of the game after a neat flick from Nabil Shariff was played in to the path of the midfielder, but his shot rolled kindly to the goalkeeper.

Jon Froggatt soon had a sighter from long range on the 21st minute, only for his shot to blaze half a yard wide.

Towey and Warne soon saw efforts go amiss, and Witton had two shots blocked between.

The best chance of the game came on the 36th minute for the home side after a good break down the left hand side.

Danny Andrews received possession in a three against two situation inside the Belper half, and ran with intent at Lister.

Andrews then squared the ball to Titchiner inside the box, and the forward hit a precise shot to the bottom left hand corner with the inside of his right foot, only for the ball to bounce back off the inside of the post, and in to the grateful arms of Haystead.

Belper then had a good opportunity minutes from the half time whistle as Michael Towey played a terrific driven pass low between two defender.

Matthews latched on to the ball and stormed in to the penalty area before driving a low shot across goal and wide, when he had Shariff available in the middle.

The second half produced little as both sides saw out a dogged 45 minutes.

Ex-Nailers defender Liam Goulding flashed a header wide on the hour mark, and Andrews curled a brilliant free kick from right to left which saw Haystead make a classy save with ten minutes remaining.

Witton Albion: Robertson, Goulding, Dawson, Shaw, Barnes, Joe Shaw (Simpson 86), Schofield, Clark (Parker 74), Rainford (Porquet-Molina 72), Titchiner, Andrews. Subs: Roddan, Swift.

Belper Town: Haystead, Turner, Matthews (Potts 59), Lister, Varley, Miller, Ross, Warne, Shariff, Froggatt (Stevenson 70), Towey. Subs: Grimes.

Referee: Martyn Rawcliffe (Manchester).

Attendance: 296.