Belper Town rescue late point against Buxton

Jon Froggatt holds the ball up for Belper. Picture by Tim Harrison
Jon Froggatt holds the ball up for Belper. Picture by Tim Harrison

Belper Town earned a well deserved 1-1 against promotion-chasers Buxton FC after a late leveller.

Debutant Nabil Shariff was on target to score an equaliser with nine minutes remaining in the close fought derby fixture.

Belper Town level the game. Pic by Tim Harrison

Belper Town level the game. Pic by Tim Harrison

The Bucks started the brighter of the two teams and had two early efforts inside the first nine minutes.

The first came for Craig Nelthorpe who found space on the left hand side on the fifth minute. Nelthorpe then carried the ball forward, and pulled a shot off from 12 yards, only for Lister to make a terrific block inside the box.

Liam Hardy then cut in from the left hand side on the edge of the box and saw his low shot tipped away by Haystead three minutes later.

Belper then had two half chances go amiss as they began to settle in to the game.

Lister and Towey both saw efforts fall wide of the post after crosses in to the box.

Buxton soon took the lead on the 23rd minute through winger Bradley Barraclough.

The Bucks earned a corner on the left hand side which was headed out by the defender, back in to the path of Nelthorpe who had a second chance at a cross.

This time his cross was on the money as Barraclough stole in unmarked from eight yards out to steer his header in to the bottom left corner.

The remainder of the first half produced only one opportunity on the stroke of half time for Belper, as Shariff fell lucky from a mis-cued clearance by Buxton and his attempt on goal was saved well by Jameson, who spread himself well following a one-on-one with the forward.

The second half proved a much improved performance from the Nailers who pressed for an equaliser, while the visitors had chances of their own to double their lead.

Jonathan Williams has two efforts on goal inside the first twelve minutes.

His first effort was a well driven shot from 30 yards which dropped inches wide of goal, before his second effort was blocked well from his goal-bound shot.

Buxton soon had three golden opportunities from inside the box, in which they failed to take advantage to put the game out of sight.

Alastair Taylor saw a shot blaze high and wide of the goal after breaking through on the right hand side on the 64th minute.

Taylor then came even closer three minutes later as his headed effort smashed the crossbar from the far right post, before Nelthorpe laced his follow-up shot over from ten yards.

Nelthorpe then had another chance from an identical position to his first, just eight minutes later, which again blazed over the crossbar, much to Belper’s relief.

Rob Stevenson then came off the bench to make all the difference for Belper, adding pace and power to the home side.

The Nailers soon got their equaliser nine minutes from time, thanks to the good work of Stevenson.

Phil Watt played a neat ball over the top from the left, into the path of Stevenson who got behind his man.

Stevenson then beat the defender the pace and drilled a low ball across the box which Froggatt challenged the ‘keeper for, before the ball broke nicely for Nabil Shariff, who took a good first touch and placed his shot into the right hand corner to top off a positive debut performance.

Jon Froggatt soon had a late penalty claim which was turned down by referee Watson just minutes from time.

Belper Town: Haystead, Turner, Potts (Matthews 7), Lister, Miller, Watt, Williams (Stevenson 74), Ross, Froggatt, Shariff, Towey. Subs: Warne, Varley.

Buxton FC: Jameson, Bryne (Burbeary 84), Green, Wilson, Palmer, Meynell, Barraclough (Taylor 60), Stevens, Reed (Tuton 60), Hardy, Nelthope. Subs: Niven, Ryan.

Referee: Luke Watson (Barnsley).

Attendance: 386.