Belper Town rescue point with late fightback at Kidsgrove Athletic

Match action from Belper Town's 2-2 draw at Kidsgrove. Pic by Tim Harrison
Match action from Belper Town's 2-2 draw at Kidsgrove. Pic by Tim Harrison

A story of three second half penalties ensured Belper extended their unbeaten run to four games after a 2-2 draw at Kidsgrove Athletic.

Belper found themselves 2-0 down after missing a second half penalty, but rallied to rescue a point in the dying moments.

Evan Garnett squandered the chance to equalise for Belper just after the hour mark, before the home side went down the other end and won a penalty of their own.

They made no mistake as Anthony Malbon took full advantage to smash the ball home.

Garnett did get himself on the scoresheet 12 minutes from time tucking away Graves’ cut-back to pull one back for the Nailers.

Alex Steadman equalised for Belper, collecting a long punt forward from Nailers ‘keeper Danny Haystead and won another penalty. This time making the most of the opportunity from the spot sending the keeper the wrong way.

Jack Sherratt opened the scoring just before the half-hour mark with a low left-footed drive from 25 yards out.

Jonathan Williams danced through a couple of challenges before being felled just inside the box for the Nailers first penalty.

But Chapman dived low to his right to keep out Garnett and keep his clean sheet intact.

Five minutes later, Haystead made a wonderful reaction save to keep out Malbon, then Watkis cleared the rebound off the line.

Captain Malbon then made no mistake to fire the ball past Haystead and double the home side’s lead.

With ten minutes to go, Graves drove into the box from the right hand side, pulled the ball back to Garnett who took a touch and finished low across the keeper into the bottom corner.

In the dying moments Haystead pumped the ball long towards Steadman, who brought the ball down and skipped past Morris who tripped him just inside the box.

The Belper forward took responsibility this time and placed the ball into the right hand side of the goal to increase Belper’s unbeaten run.

Kidsgrove Athletic: Chapman, Davidson, Morris, Espley, Bergin, Sherratt, Malbon, Skelton, Wellecombe (Kinsey 84 mins), Johnson, Woolley (Donnelly 74 mins).

Unused subs: Taylor, Hodgkinson.

Belper Town: Haystead, Allen (Shaw 84 mins), Cole (Shannon-Lewis 45 mins), Williams, Simpson, Watt, Stevenson, Graves, Garnett, Watkis, Steadman.

Unused subs: Constable, Palmer.

Attendance: 198.

Referee: Harry Hawkins (Chesterfield).