Belper Town return to winning ways

Evo-Stik NPL League First Division South

Quorn 1, Belper Town 2

BELPER Town put the previous Saturday’s heavy home defeat behind them in the best possible way by winning their next game at Quorn.

Manager Peter Duffield rang the changes for this one and left Lee Morris, Ryan Hindley, Aaron Pride and Alan O’Hare on the bench while Luke Chambers, Ben Leonard, Michael Simpkins and Lee Whittingham were given opportunities from the start.

The Nailers made a lively opening and took the lead in the 11th minute in an explosive manner.

Jon Froggatt collected the ball just outside the area and unleashed an unstoppable drive in off the underside of the cross bar from nearly 25 yards.

Froggatt came close to getting a second goal in the 15th minute when he met a near post cross but a Quorn defender managed to divert the ball for a corner kick.

Quorn began to claw their way into the game after this and one of their most impressive players Andrew Osei-Siribour had two quick fire efforts in the 19th and 28th minutes that went too close for comfort for the Nailers.

Luke Chambers charged through to force a great save from Matt Nurse in the Quorn goal, however increasing pressure from the home side brought its reward in the 36th minute when Chris Nurse slipped through to drill the ball under the advancing Andy Richmond to level the scores.

The Nailers absorbed plenty of pressure before hitting back on 42 minutes although it was Matt Nurse who had to take the blame when he missed a long Luke Chambers free kick and Andy Rushbury was on hand to steer the ball into the unguarded net.

Quorn enjoyed lengthy spells of possession in the second period but direct efforts on goal were a rarity as the Nailers’ rearguard was well organised and resolute.

Andrew Osei-Siribour nearly caught Andy Richmond unawares with a cross shot on 58 minutes but the Belper custodian helped the ball out of play at full stretch.

A rare Belper opportunity materialised in the 69th minute when good work from Deon Meikle resulted in a cross to the far post where Jon Froggatt just failed to convert.

Richmond earned his money with one fantastic save on 75 minutes when Chris Gray launched a venomous effort from the edge of the penalty area that he must have seen late, but still managed to push over the cross bar.

Quorn continued to apply unrelenting pressure in the closing stages, however Lee Morris might have sealed victory with a close range shot on 79 minutes, but Matt Nurse went some way to appeasing for his earlier error by denying the Belper striker with a great save.

Quorn FC: Nurse M, Shaw, Marshall, Marriott, Burton, Gray, Osei-Siribour, Millson, Nurse K, Dudfield, Munn (Richards 76). Unused subs: Wood, Nurse R, Thomas, Matthews.

Belper Town: Richmond, Chambers, Magee, Meikle, Adams, Simkins, Marrison, Leonard (Pride 70), Froggatt (O’Hare 90), Whittingham (Morris 63), Rushbury. Unused subs: Hindley, Turner.

Referee: S Richardson of Mansfield Woodhouse

Attendance: 112.