Belper Town suffer another narrow defeat as Workington Town take all three points

editorial image

Belper Town were beaten 2-1 by promotion-chasers Workington AFC during another frustrating.

Injuries to Phil Watt and Rob Stevenson kept them out of the game, meaning Kern Miller and Paul Lister played at centre half, and Nabil Shariff also started the game upfront.

Matty Tymon had the first opportunity of the game as he scooped the ball over from six yards on the half volley after Miller had done his job to put the forward off.

The Nailers then had two good chances in the eighth minute as Matthews whipped in a free kick from the right for Towey to attack at the back post, forcing a fine save from Jamieson, before Shariff followed up to flash the ball wide from close range.

The visitors then scored two goals late in the first half to establish a strong half time lead.

The first came on the 38th minute as the ball was played up to Tinnion.

The winger appeared to foul defender Miller in the build up, with the referee waving play on.

Tinnion then flicked the ball on in to the path of Matty Tymon who raced through on goal and slotted the ball past Haystead in to the bottom right corner.

Workington then doubled their lead just five minutes later after a delightful cross field ball by Tymon was picked up well by Scott Allison on the right hand side.

Allison then worked his way inside and drilled a low shot in to the near right corner, giving Haystead no chance.

The second half began on good terms for the Nailers as they scored after just two minutes.

Good build up play in the opponents half led to a neat one-two between Evan Garnett and Grimes.

Garnett then flashed a shot to the far post which was helped in by the deflection of Kyle May, leading to the ball trickling in to the far corner, and Garnett registering for his home club.

Neither side were able to create too much for the remainder of the game, as Belper worked hard to try and come back in to the game.

Haystead was called in to action and made a fine save on the 49th minute after Arnison drilled a low effort to the left hand corner, which Haystead tipped wide.

Grimes and Garnett had half chances from the edge of the box which went amiss.

Jon Froggatt came on and flashed a first time effort wide with his first touch off the bench from 25 yards.

The Nailers came close to an equaliser on the 90th minute as Wilson played the ball in to the box and Froggatt lifted the ball over the goalkeeper.

The ball looked to be going in directly, only for Paul Lister to arrive two yards out and head the ball over the bar.

Belper Town: Haystead, Turner, Matthews, Lister, Miller, Williams, Wilson, Towey (Warne 81), Grimes, Garnett, Shariff (Froggatt 81). Subs: Watt, Varley, Karkach.

Workington AFC: Jamieson, Simpson, Rowntree, May, O’Donnell, Skelton, Allison (Wright 83), McLuckie Arnison, Tymon (Salmon 81), Tinnion. Subs: Newby, Smith, Hindmarch.

Referee: Stuart Richardson (Mansfield Woodhouse).

Attendance: 258.