Belper Town throw away two points after being pegged back by Goole

Rob Stevenson celebrates his goal. Pic by Tim Harrison
Rob Stevenson celebrates his goal. Pic by Tim Harrison

Belper Town blew two points after throwing away a two goal lead before drawing 3-3 at Goole.

The Nailers looked in full control as they were 2-0 up inside the first half an hour, but the hosts responded with three goals in eight first-half minutes to turn the game on its head.

Alex Steadman got Belper back on level terms with pretty much the last kick of the half from the penalty spot.

Rob Stevenson opened the scoring after he drove to the edge of box and sent a low left footed shot that went in off post.

On the half hour mark top goalscorer Evan Garnett closed down a weak back pass and flicked the ball over Goole ‘keeper Daniel Waring to leave himself an empty net to double the visitors’ lead.

With ten minutes to go until half-time, the Vikings halved the deficit when Aaron Moxam slipped Nick Guest through who poked the ball through Haystead’s legs.

Guest was at it again five minutes later when he scored with a neat finish after good work by Moxam.

Goole completed their remarkable comeback with Moxam getting himself on the scoresheet as strike partner Guest squared the ball across the six yard line with Moxam having the freedom of the Belper penalty area to tap the ball home.

Belper got themselves back on level terms with just seconds to go in the first-half when Steadman converted his third penalty in as many games after Stevenson was felled in the box.

Jonathan Williams curled a delightful 25-yard free-kick onto the bar in the opening minutes, which set the tone for an entertaining first-half.

The away side had the better chances to win the game in the second half as they extended their unbeaten run to six.

Stevenson just headed over Williams’ free-kick, then his own cross was turned onto the post by a Vikings defender, as Belper pushed to get back in front.

Garnett tested Waring one final time with just a few minutes left on the clock when he collected a long ball and created a chance for himself, but Waring palmed the ball away.

Goole AFC: Waring, Mackie, Kay (Steeple 83), Robson, Colbear, Varley, Cotton (Semley 68), Stannard, Guest, Moxam, Johnson (Law 70).

Unused subs: Jackson, Moore.

Belper Town: Haystead, Allen, Cole, Simpson (Watkis 45’), Parker (G.Palmer 45), Watt, Stevenson, Graves, Garnett, Williams, Steadman (Shannon-Lewis 78).

Unused subs: Constable, Mansfield.

Referee: N. Guest.