Belper United bounce back

Share this article

Central Midlands League

Premier Division South

Newark Town 1

Belper United 2

AFTER a 2-1 Derbyshire Senior Cup defeat away at Stapenhill the previous week, Belper United bounced back to winning ways in the league at Newark.

Belper changed formation to a 5-3-2 system due to the enforced absences of Hemmings and Postlethwaite. Goalkeeper Jablonski returned to the side, Wheeler started up front, new signing Eddie Bridges slotted in down the left side and the experienced Payne into midfield. Blake Beardsley dropped to the bench and Tim Sterland returned to the centre of defence.

Newark started brightly and had plenty of possession but found it hard to break down Belper’s five-man defence.

All of their early shots were long range efforts and did little to trouble Jablonski.

Belper looked dangerous on the counter attack and Wheeler and Brewster’s pace caused the Newark defence plenty of trouble with both Mcrobie and Wheeler coming close.

On 35 minutes Belper took the lead. The home side were dispossessed on the edge of the penalty area. Brewster burst clear before releasing Wheeler through on goal. When many would have shot at goal, he unselfishly squared the ball for McRobie to open the scoring.

Newark pushed forward with greater urgency and with Belper looking to see out the half they conceded a late corner.

A fine delivery from Ellison was met powerfully by Parsons who rose above Jablonski to equalise seconds before the half-time whistle.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first Belper’s pace causing Newark’s defence plenty of problems again and Newark unable to break Belper’s defence down despite enjoying the greater share of possession.

As the game progressed and opened up Belper began to hit Newark on the break with greater regularity and it came as no surprise when Belper took the lead. Payne gained possession but was fouled 35 yards from goal.

Brewster swung the free kick in from the left and Lamb in the Newark goal failed to collect cleanly, the ball bounced around and went in eventually off a Newark defender.

Newark pushed forward but were restricted to more long range efforts and again they struggled to cause Jablonski any real problems.

Wheeler broke free just before the end of the game and should have sealed the win but a last ditch tackle thwarted him.

Belper comfortably saw out the remainder of the game and gained three very valuable points which saw them rise to fourth place in the league.

Belper United: Jablonski, Perry, Bridges, Slater, Bacon, Sterland, Payne, Wadsworth, Brewster, McRobie, Wheeler.

Subs: Wilde, Beardsley, Postlethwaite (all unused).

This Saturday United are on the road again when they travel to face Nottinghamshire Police.