Belper United get back on track with Real good win

Goalscorer Evan Garnett. Pic by Terry Fletcher
Goalscorer Evan Garnett. Pic by Terry Fletcher

Belper United picked up all three points after beating Real United 5-3 in an entertaining game.

The result left United boss Pete Postlethwaite delighted at his side’s impressive goal threat.

“It’s never easy against Real United so to get back on track with three points is an excellent performance,” he said.

“We attacked with pace and have started to score goals for fun again.

“Evan Garnett and Ryan Wheatcroft were the difference today with theiur power and pace, so for them to score five between is a massive plus going into the business end of the season.

“We have now have another two tough games coming up, with a wednesday night home match against Blidworth and then an away game against 2nd placed Pinxton on Saturday.”

Real United started very strong and took a deserved lead after eight minutes from a free-kick.

Real United then piled on the pressure looking to double the lead, but numerous crosses and long range deflected shots brought them nothing more.

After 18 minutes, and against the run of play, Belper United broke away and Ryan Wheatcroft equalised.

Belper took the lead five minutes later when Sam Vickers pinched the ball on the edge of the area and got a shot away that was well saved, before Ryan Wheatcroft was there again to slot home.

It was 3-1 after 28 minutes with the pace of Sam Vickers, Ryan Wheatcroft and Evan Garnett causing the defence all kinds of problems and Evan Garnett got his reward with his first goal of the game.

Real United weren’t going to lie down though and another volley in the box brought the game back to 3-2.

Belper United did nothing more but go back on the attack and a Ryan Wheatcroft shot was just deflected wide.

From the resultant corner Even Garnett was left free and he easily tapped in from close range for his second of the match.

Belper United game out with a better shape and discipline in the second half, which was much tighter than the first half.

The half was lit up in the middle by two stunning saves by both keepers.

The first came from the 16 year-old Real United goalkeeper who managed to somehow claw away a close range header.

Real United immediately broke and Scott Whittingham had to tip onto the post at full stretch from a bullet of a volley.

Belper United made the game safe on 85 minutes when Ryan Wheatcroft unselfishly played in Evan Garnett whose lob easily beat the keeper for his deserved hat-trick.

Again Real United didn’t give up and Phil Granville scored direct from a free-kick just before the final whistle.

Belper United: S.Whittingham, A.Moss, S.Roulston, A.Robley, J.Conkleton, L.Mundin, T.Perry, N.Murray, S.Vickers, E.Garnett, R.Wheatcroft.

Subs: S.Slater, J.Sparkes, G.Conway, T.Harvey.