Belper United manager praises team after local derby win

Holbrook st michael v Belper united (green)
Holbrook st michael v Belper united (green)

Belper United chief Paul Postlethwaite was delighted with his side after they overcame Holbrook St Michael’s 3-0 in the League Cup second round last weekend.

Sam Vickers notched twice in the opening exchanges before Luke Crosby added a third in the second half, as Belper sealed the cup win and bragging rights to boot.

Manager Postlethwaite says the afternoon went according to plan.

He said: “We were very good.

“Everything we wanted from today, we got.

“We rested the players we wanted to, we gave minutes to players we wanted to and had no injuries.

“We scored three goals and most importantly got another clean sheet and we are through to the third round.”

Postlethwaite made changes to his side for the visit to Holbrook Park in what was the first of three cup games in ten days.

Tristan Spencer was rested due to a slight ankle niggle and Adam Moss was still missing due to a suspension.

Scott Slater came back at centre-half, Alfie Holland started in the centre of midfield, Vickers started wide right and Crosby returned up front.

Belper put the Saints on the back foot right from kick-off, with Vickers and Crosby giving the defence a torrid time.

Vickers put United ahead after only seven minutes after cutting in from the right and easily confusing the full-back, before tucking away an effort into the bottom-corner from the edge of the box.

Just four minutes later, United had doubled their lead.

The Holbrook defence were unable to clear their lines, and could only find Vickers.

He once again got the better of his defender and slotted passed Chris Dodsley in the Saints goal to make it 2-0.

Holbrook dug in and made personnel changes with the hapless left-back being spared further pain by being substituted.

Surprisingly, St Michaels had a couple of chances to get back into the game.

First, a free header was spectacularly pushed wide by Belper stopper Scott Whittingham, before a couple of scrambles were well defended by United.

Belper should have extended the lead before half-time.

Luke Crosby had an effort well saved by Dodsley, before Vickers went close to a hat-trick only to see his effort go wide.

Ben Summers then saw a 25-yard effort smack the crossbar as Belper went into the break full of confidence.

The second half started the same way the first had ended.

After 51 minutes, Belper got the crucial third.

Crosby capitalised on some poor defending from Scott Whittingham’s long clearance and easily slotted home from inside the six-yard box.

Belper took the opportunity to rest some of their players thereafter, with Vickers, Joe Conkleton and Tim Perry all being substituted.

They were replaced by Jon Poplar, Jamie Sparkes and Tarik Harvey.

The game was done and dusted with Holbrook St Michaels doing little as an attacking force and Belper United coasting through to the end saving themselves for the bigger games that lie in wait.

United: S.Whittingham, A.Robley, S.Roulston, S.Slater, A.Holland, T.Perry, A.Dhindsa, S.Vickers, L.Crosby, B.Summers

Subs: M.Rathbone, T.Harvey, J.Sparkes, J.Poplar, G.Conway.

• This Saturday United face Borrowash Victoria in the first round of the FA Vase.

The game takes place at the neutral venue of the Moorways Centre in Derby, on the main pitch.

The full address is Moorways Stadium, Moor Lane, Allenton, Derby, DE24 9HY.