Blow for Belper as they lose at home by single goal

Belper Town suffered a blow at Christchurch Meadow on Saturday afternoon after Market Drayton took all three points.

The game wasn’t without its controversy and later in the game the Nailers felt Jon Froggatt was fouled outside the area by last man Damien Stevens as the number nine rounded the goalkeeper and appeared to be brought down by the foot of Stevens.

Manager Peter Duffield made two changes to his defence with Chris Jones and Liam Davis coming in.

The first chance came after eight minutes for Market Drayton when Elliot Ledwards played the ball over the top from deep, which was misjudged by defender Jones. Mike O’Reilly then had a clear run into the box but hurried the shot and sliced wide of the near left post.

Mark Ward produced a good opportunity six minutes later when Simon Harrison had the ball on the right and played it back into Ward on the edge of the box. Ward then took a touch to set himself, and on his less-favourite left foot, swung a shot in which Stevens got down well to save.

Liam Davis then played in a neat cross from the left which was headed out by Blake. The ball then fell nicely for Steve Warne, who chested the ball and struck on the half-volley just over the bar.

Froggatt then had an effort cleared off the line when Simon Harrison played in a corner from the right. Colin Marrison headed back across goal at the second attempt, which Froggatt met and volleyed low towards the target, only for James Askey to block on the goalline.

The final chance of the half came again for Froggatt when Ward held the ball up well on the left and played it back to Marrison in space. Marrison then delivered the cross towards the penalty spot, which Froggatt came to meet with a headed effort after good movement to get in front of his marker, only for the goalkeeper to save comfortably towards his right hand side.

The second half saw Market Drayton take the lead early on after 52 minutes, with Phil Watt deemed to have headed the ball into his own net. A good cross was delivered by Bennett on the left, which came for Rob Stevenson on the far post to smash the ball towards goal. Phil Watt then made contact, turning the ball towards his goal. Scot Low reacted well to knock the ball away. However, the referee judged the ball to have crossed the line.

Later chances then came for Kieran Wells and Froggatt. The first for Wells was a good header from eight yards after a Simon Harrison corner. However it was inches wide.

Then, Froggatt was played through on goal by Wells through the middle, who closed in on the outrushing Stevens, who then seemingly bring Froggatt down. However the appeals were waved away.

New signing Joe Flint had the best chance of the game with three minutes of normal time to go, when a cross was delivered by Jones to be headed away by McMullen. Warne then flicked the ball into the box and Flint reacted well to smash in an instinctive volley, which produced a fine save by Stevens to tip over the bar.