Controversial goal brings a replay

Central Midlands Leagu

Baris Challenge Cup

Belper United 2

Harworth Coll. Inst. 2

BELPER United’s first match of the new year saw a Baris cup second tie against Doncaster-based Harworth end in controversy.

The game was affected by a strong cross wind but both teams tried to get the ball down and play a passing game.

Belper had the better of the earlier exchanges as Harworth sought to adjust to the new surroundings.

First Wheeler went close with a shot then Hemmings made a good run down the left but his teasing cross was cleared by the defence.

Another move down the left saw Bridges put in a good cross but again the Belper forwards failed to convert the opportunity.

Wheeler then broke between two defenders and was challenged heavily from behind. However, referee Hawkins did not award the penalty much to the amazement of players and spectators alike.

This affected the concentration of the Belper players and allowed Harworth into the game, with their first attack they broke down the left and despite looking offside they were allowed to continue and the ball was passed into the goal at the far post leaving Jablonski helpless.

Just before half time Belper got a deserved equaliser when Brewster broke down the left and picked out Wilde for a clinical finish.

The second half began much the same as the first with Belper on top and Harworth tried to break the game up with some niggling challenges and gamesmanship, appearing to provoke players in an attempt to get a reaction which is never good to see.

Belper went close through Kelly and Wheeler as well as Wilde.

With 20 minutes left Belper introduced McRobie for Wilde and within minutes he had scored. Hemmings and Bridges played a neat one-two and Bridges cross was headed home powerfully by McRobie.

McRobie was then booked along with a Harworth player after they tangled in midfield.

As the game entered the last minute, the ball went out of play for a throw in and as McRobie ran back to defend, he was clearly kicked off his feet by a Harworth player. Unfortunately he reacted aggressively and the linesman flagged.

The referee, who admitted he hadn’t seen anything, only sent McRobie off for violent conduct as the assistant said he hadn’t seen the first incident.

If this wasn’t bad enough, the referee then awarded a penalty kick even though the ball was already dead as it had gone out for a throw-in.

Despite lengthy protests, the official would not change his decision and Harworth scored from the spot to equalise and force a midweek replay.

Once again Belper seemed to have done enough to win the game but important decisions are not going their way at present.

It is hoped with continued hard work results will eventuallyl start to improve.

The important thing is Belper are still in the draw for the next round.