Dynamic Nailers get the better of Loughborough

Jon Froggatt of Belper Town''Photo by Tim Harrison
Jon Froggatt of Belper Town''Photo by Tim Harrison

Belper Town made it seven wins from their last nine fixtures following a solid victory over Loughborough Dynamo on Saturday.

After a fortnight’s break from competitive action, the players looked fresher than ever with a professional performance that was pleasing on the eye.

The first chance came for Dynamo’s Nathan Watson eight minutes in. Loughborough had worked the ball up from the back and Watson collected the ball in a central position, 40 yards from goal.

The number 11 then sought an opportunity that few players would scarcely attempt. A 40-yard drive was an attempt to catch Scot Low off his line which almost paid off, but for the top of the crossbar denying what could have been a terrific opening.

The second chance for Dynamo came a minute later as the dangerous Jarrod Westcarr was fed the ball inside the area, turning Watt and getting his shot away, saved well by Scot Low.

However, with their first attempt of the afternoon, the Nailers took the lead after just ten minutes. A good move down the left combining Steve Warne and Colin Marrison ended in the latter going through down the left hand side.

Marrison then took the ball to the line and cut back the low cross where Kieran Wells was on hand eight yards out to fire in the shot low past the goalkeeper.

The link between Marrison and Wells was unleashed once again on the 26th minute, when Marrison’s cross from the left hand side was chested under the control of Wells, who turned and drove the volley goal bound, however Jake Betts was able to put in a brave block some four yards out.

Kieran Wells then had a golden opportunity five minutes before the break after Froggatt had hooked the ball over for Wells who had stayed onside. Wells then drove down the left and with two unmarked men in the box to aim for, his attempt was cut out by the grateful keeper.

The Nailers started the second half in aggressive fashion, earning themselves a fine goal to double their lead. Firstly, Aaron Cole beat his marker down the left, cutting in and firing in the shot towards the far post which went inches wide with the keeper beaten. Then, on the 49th minute, the Nailers got their reward. Cole again proved a menace down the right hand side, and his cross was aimed perfectly for the head of Froggatt who glanced his header into the far left corner, his 28th goal of the season.

Loughborough made sure there was a reason to fight until the end after being awarded a free kick just outside the area after. Rob Norris spotted the ball 20 yards from goal, left of centre, and drilled in with wonderful precision into the bottom right corner on the 77th minute.

There were late chances for both sides with Cole, Warne and Marrison all coming close for Belper.