First ever FA Vase game ends in defeat for United

Belper United's Tim Perry , showing his will to compete for the ball''Photo by Terry Fletcher
Belper United's Tim Perry , showing his will to compete for the ball''Photo by Terry Fletcher
Share this article

Belper United’s first ever game in the FA Vase ended in a 4-0 defeat at Clipstone Welfare on Saturday.

Boss Steve Watson had a late injury crisis to deal with.

Shaun Smith pulled out with a knee injury on the morning of the game, Joe Sparham failed his late fitness test with an ankle injury, Craig Riley and Dan Riley are still suffering from long term knee injuries and then Aaron Pride was called up into the Belper Town squad.

United’s injury woes continued as they also lost Sam Vickers after only five minutes with a deadleg, being replaced by Jamie Wilde.

Clipstone started the better and went close in the first five minutes but the ball rebounded off the post.

A mixture of corners and freekicks on the edge of the area followed, causing Belper United all kinds of problems.

A multitude of chances seemed to go begging and Belper United looked like they had weathered the pressure but on 35 minutes Clipstone finally took the lead.

Adam Moss tripped Nathan Millington in the box and Rob Paling stepped up to easily beat Adam Jablonski in the Belper United goal.

On the stroke of half-time Belper United’s Adam Taylor gave away a free kick on the edge of the area. Brandon Shaw nipped in at the back post to head the free kick home.

After 51 minutes, the game was over as a contest. Good work from Peter Stubley on the left led to a melee in the box before Ian Hillier slotted home from the edge of the six- yard box.

United came more into the game as an attacking force and had a Kyle Wadsworth header cleared off the line.

On 71 minutes, Clipstone made it four. A far post cross was only headed back across the goal by Tim Sterland and Carl Snowden gleefully slotted home. Late on United had a couple of chances but they were missed.