Five-star Nailers keep up their winning habit

Jon Froggatt scores his 30th goal of the season for Belper ''Photo by Tim Harrison
Jon Froggatt scores his 30th goal of the season for Belper ''Photo by Tim Harrison

Belper Town turned in a five-star performance on Saturday afternoon against league strugglers Lincoln United to extend their run to four wins in a row.

Manager Peter Duffield once again named an unchanged side that continues to win games.

Belper dominated the game from the first minute to the last, coming out the blocks in exciting style.

Fan favourite Kieran Wells had two early chances inside the first four minutes.

The breakthrough came on the 11th minute for the home side after Aaron Cole provided a fizzing cross from the right which was handballed in the box by Sean Wright, conceding a penalty to the Nailers.

Jon Froggatt stepped up, and, as ever, struck the ball with confidence and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way. The early strike was a landmark moment with Froggatt scoring his 30th league goal of the season.

Three minutes later, the Nailers were awarded a second penalty after a James Cullingworth cross led to Jon Froggatt being tugged to the ground by Thomas Batchelor. Once again, Froggatt took responsibility and didn’t disappoint. This time he struck his penalty to the right hand corner, again sending the goalkeeper the wrong way.

The Nailers however didn’t let up, and after a fast start they continued to push forward and attack from all angles.

Kieran Wells had another chance after 19 minutes, this time an Aaron Cole free kick from the rightwhich was whipped in with pace and Wells met the header at the back post, only to aim two inches too high to loop the ball over the bar.

Belper got their well-deserved third goal on the 37th minute, after a strong period of pressure on the visitors, who struggled to cope with the quality of Belper throughout the afternoon. Colin Marrison picked the ball up on the left and cut inside his opponent. Marrison then opened up his body and struck a fierce shot towards goal. Batchelor did well to block the attempt just inside the area. Then, with the ball looping up, Aaron Cole headed the ball back into the danger area, where Steve Warne was on hand to side foot a volley beyond the goalkeeper.

Jon Froggatt was denied his hat-trick early in the second half by the linesman’s flag and then Mark Ward came off the bench to produce the game’s magical moment on the 80th minute. A ball played up from the back was received by Ward who took a neat first touch.

Then, from 40 yards out to the right hand side, Ward saw the goalkeeper off his line and produced the most outrageous strike to lob the goalkeeper and fire the ball into the top left corner to send the crowd into wild celebrations.

The game then went from bad to worse for Lincoln. Substitute Matt O’Halloran, who had only entered the action on the 54th minute, was sent off for a two-footed lunge on Simon Harrison with three minutes of normal time to go.

A fifth goal was then added on the 90th minute with Sam Duncum registering his name on the score sheet. The ball broke well for Belper and Duncum ran at the Lincoln backline with intent. However, after initially miscontrolling on the edge of the box to give the ball away, confusion between the Lincoln defenders led to the ball being passed straight back to Duncum who only had to pass the ball cutely into the back of the empty net.