Harrison screamer sets Belper on their way

A stunning 35-yard strike from Simon Harrison set Belper Town on their way to a comfortable victory at Lincoln United on Saturday, allowing the Nailers to consolidate their position in the top five.

On a bright February afternoon, the Nailers travelled to Lincoln without the suspended Colin Marrison and the injured Aaron Pride.

Belper have had a very good record at Lincoln in recent times and have won many more times than they have lost, and with the Whites floundering at the wrong end of the table it was expected that the Nailers would bring back all three points from this one.

They started in a lively manner and, after a benign first 15 minutes, it was the home team who registered the first effort on goal when Whites’ skipper Brendan McDaid sent a looping header from a corner kick just over.

Glyn Cotton responded with a wild shot after Simon Harrison had worked hard to feed him the ball, and, after a lengthy spell of scrappy play, Ben Garrick struck a swerving shot just over.

Shaun Tuton did well to get into a position to lay the ball into the path of Jon Froggatt but the Belper striker’s shot was deflected at Phil McGann in goal.

The Nailers took the lead in the 31st minute in dramatic style when Simon Harrison instinctively let fly from over 35 yards out, and saw the ball drop over Phil McGann and bulge the back of the net. This was a true goal of the season contender and arguably edged out Aaron Pride’s blockbusting effort a week earlier.

Belper were soon celebrating again when Steve Warne finished clinically from 15 yards after Richard Adams’s throw-in to Jon Froggatt led to a fine block from the ‘keeper, and subsequently creating the opportunity for the Belper captain.

George Zuerner gave the Whites hope with a header just wide in the 49th minute, but Belper tightened their grip three minutes later when Shaun Roulston’s header from a corner kick hit the underside of the bar and Jon Froggatt poached a striker’s goal from barely a yard out.

The Nailers extended their when Froggatt met a corner kick and forced the ball over the line.

For a few minutes, the Nailers seemed to go to lose concentration and in this period they were punished twice.

Simon Mowbray scored from a cross by Dave Howe in the 83rd minute, and, with Belper seemingly powerless to prevent it, they conceded another, two minutes later when Gio Carchedi finished from close in from a right wing cross shot.