Holbrook Sports seal derby day win over Borrowash

Football Rumours
Football Rumours

Holbrook Sports secured the bragging rights in the East Midlands Counties local Derby against Borrowash Vics.

A Matt Harris header in the second half was the difference between the two sides to secure a hard fought win for Holbrook.

Boss Paul Romney said the win was full deserved for the effort of his side in recent weeks.

“It was a great three points for the team and something we fully deserved,” he said.

“We have been playing well without getting the results lately so it was nice to taste victory in the local derby.

“It was a tight game, but we showed better commitment, desire and shape and I am really pleased with the performance which should us move forward in a positive mood again after a tough few weeks.”

Jake Dodds failed a late fitness test, while Sam Foster pulled out in the warm up due to ill health and Kyle Hazeldine was stuck in traffic.

In what was always going to be a tight game Holbrook had the first chance on nine minutes when Nduoma Chilaka volleyed just over at the back post.

The Brookies best chance of the first half came after 23 mins when a Nduoma Chilaka cross saw a Stephen Akers header crash against the bar.

Five minutes later the two combined again, but with the roles reversed and Nduoma Chilaka shot just wide.

Just before half-time Borrowash Vics had their best chance to open the scoring when they missed a one-on-one opportunity.

Holbrook made a tactical change at half-time as Kyle Hazeldine came on for Seb Szondi, which allowed Ross Coxon to go wide.

Borrowash though had the first chance to score after 53 minutes when Danny Graves saved well from the impressive Jermaine Palmer on the edge of the six yard box.

Holbrook then started to dominate and Stephen Akers hit the woodwork again from a tight angle.

The pressure paid of after 63 minutes when Sports took a quick free-kick and, with the Victoria players still arguing, Kyle Hazeldine put in a pin point cross for Matt Harris to head home.

The Brookies continued to push for another goal and, after 72 minutes, a corner saw a Niall Mather header cleared of the line.

Borrowash had a chance to equalise after 81 minutes, but Danny Graves came to the rescue again with another vital save.