Holbrook St Michaels 0-5 Blidworth Welfare - report

Holbrook St Michaels V Blidworth. Pictured for Holbrook is Robert Robinkle and for Blidworth is Gary Atkins.
Holbrook St Michaels V Blidworth. Pictured for Holbrook is Robert Robinkle and for Blidworth is Gary Atkins.

Holbrook St Michaels haven’t won a home game all season and were unable to change that dismal record against Blidworth.

Sam Dockwray’s fine pass to the right saw Max Curzon race clear to shoot the visitors into a fourth minute lead.

When the Saints hit back Mickey Dunn headed a free-kick high over the bar when he really should have been much nearer the target.

Blidworth though were much more clinical in front of goal and Blake Owen was sent clear by Eden Homer on 12 minutes but saw his shot saved by Dan Haddington’s legs. Moments later, however, Gary Atkins weaved his way through several non-existent tackles to fire the visitors into a two-goal lead.

Jordan Butcher put in another good cross for Holbrook and Dunn failed to control the ball with a clear shot at goal and another chance was missed.

Dockwray put Owen through at the other end and Haddington again saved with his legs.

The game saw an ugly moment on 35 minutes when Dockwray’s tackle on Joe Fowler saw the home midfielder sent off for retaliation.

This led to Blidworth enjoying their numerical advantage and playing some nice football with crisp passing and it was no surprise when they went further ahead moments before the break when Lee Easom played a lovely pass through to Sam Dockwray who rounded Haddington and tapped the ball into an empty net.

Holbrook began the second half brightly kicking downhill, and Charlie McCormack beat two defenders before shooting over the bar.

And the home side’s best effort of the game came on 50 minutes when Scot Dawson played McCormack clear but Sam Henderson saved with his legs.

Nathawat Areerat was putting in some excellent crosses but Holbrook had nothing in front of goal to suggest that his efforts would bring any reward.

Dunn did get in one shot which looked goalbound, but Henderson tipped the ball for a corner and then Areerat shot over the bar from a McCormack pass.

But it wasn’t all one-way traffic by any means and Blake Owen was put clear on 69 minutes, drew Haddington, and then shot wastefully wide.

Substitute Craig Buchanan saw his shot on the turn just clear the bar before Liam Green set up Blake Owen for a 77th minute side foot home with an excellent cross.

Holbrook hit back and Rob Inkle headed an Areerat free kick wide and Dunn lobbed another good chance over the bar. Areerat won a corner with another excellent run and came close to the goal which his second half performance in particular richly deserved, but it was not to be.

It was Blidworth who made the score a nap hand with five minutes of the game remaining when substitute Craig Buchanan saw his half-volley flash into the top corner from around twenty yards.