It’s Vickers at the double but United lose away at Bulwell

Share this article

Belper United suffered a 4-2 CML defeat at the hands of Bulwell on Saturday.

Bulwell started the game the better of the two sides and, in the first 15 minutes, Adam Jablonski in the Belper United goal had to make a couple of fine saves to keep the scores level.

Completely against the run of play, Belper broke and an excellent flowing move was finished off by Sam Vickers. Bulwell threw everything at Belper United and only excellent goalkeeping and last-ditch defending kept them out.

Immediately after half-time, Bulwell finally got the reward for their fine play when they scored direct from a corner kick. But again Belper United took the lead against the run of play.

After 60 minutes, great play from Luke Crosby led to him again feeding Sam Vickers to neatly slot home. For ten minutes, Belper United looked like they were going to increase the lead, with young Tom Curtis giving the Bulwell right back a torrid time, but United were unable to finish any of the chances made.

After 70 minutes a loose Belper United pass in midfield was seized upon and a right wing cross was headed home for the equaliser. Five minutes later, poor defending allowed a Bulwell striker to turn and lay the ball into the path of his striking partner who had time to chest it down and volley into the corner.

Five minutes from time, Bulwell were assured of victory when again a poor defensive header led to a fourth goal.

After the game, manager Steve Watson said: “Bulwell completely deserved the victory as they were they better side for the majority of the game, but having been 2-1 up with 20 minutes to go we have to be disappointed to not hold out for a result again.

“We spoke before about raising the tempo of our game and showing some character, neither of which happened to today. We will have a look at things at training but we may need to freshen up the squad for next Saturday’s home cup game against Clay Cross Town.”