Last gasp penalty seals victory for Belper United

Central Midlands League

Black Dragon Division South

Kimberley Town 1

Belper United 2

BELPER United extended their unbeaten run in the league this season but it took a last gasp penalty to do so in a game where all the drama came in the last few minutes.

The visitors began well and with the wind at their backs, soon produced a string of early goalscoring opportunities.

Wadsworth shot past a post when clear of the defence, Wilde miskicked with the goal at his mercy and Payne, McRobie and Wheeler all spurned clear chancess.

As the half progressed Kimberley became more disorganised and desperate and the referee had to make a number of cautions for reckless challenges by the Kimberley players.

Although Belper played some attractive football their inability to score began to cause frustration and the half ended goalless.

The second half continued in the same vein as the first with United well on top.

Five minutes in, Wheeler was brought down in the Kimberley box and a penalty was awarded.

Tony Hemmings struck the penalty cleanly, but home keeper Simon Dye, who had been in spired form all afternoon, pulled off a fine save low to his right.

More chances followed in what had become a one-sided game and Jablonski in the Belper goal was a spectator for most of the 90 minutes.

McRobie had a header cleared off the line, Wadsworth missed when one on one with the home custodian and Payne missed at least two good opportunities.

The frustration began to show in Belper’s play and Kimberley grew in confidence that they could get something from the game.

As the game entered it’s last minute, Kimberley’s Leon Aikmen burst through the United defence and forced Jabloski into a save, but before he could recover his position, the ball was knocked in at the far post and it was 1-0 to the hosts.

The referee signalled three minutes of added time to be played and Belper replaced Sparkes with an extra forward in Mickey Dunn who made his debut.

This immediately caused problems for the home defence and when the ball fell invitingly for Payne he finally lashed the ball in off the post to equalise.

Kimberley kicked off with the game entering the last minute, Sterland won possession and played Dunn in down the right, he showed great body strength to hold off two challenges and made a run into the penalty area where he was tripped and the referee awarded Belper’s second penalty of the clash.

As the Kimberley players protested angrily Hemmings showed his experience and nerve as he waited calmly for the game to continue.


The referee blew his whistle and this time Hemmings smashed the ball into the roof of the net for the winner with what proved to be the last kick of the match and sealed a deserved three points based on the overall game.

However, Belper will need to be much more incisive in front of goal if they are to keep their unbeaten run going.

This Saturday United return to Alton Manor where Bilborough Pelican are the visitors for a 3pm kick-off.