Late burst of goals from Adam earns Belper a point

Chris Adam scores for Belper''Photo by Tim Harrison
Chris Adam scores for Belper''Photo by Tim Harrison

A stunning comeback for Belper Town made a 2-2 draw against Rainworth MW feel like a victory on Saturday, as Chris Adam came off the bench to strike in the 90th and 93rd minutes.

The Nailers started the game on top with good possession and attacking intent, deep inside The Wrens half.

The first-half chance came after three minutes when the impressive Cameron Stuart struck a half volley from 30 yards with good connection, only to go straight through to the goalkeeper.

Kieran Wells then had an opportunity on nine minutes when a Stuart free kick from the right was whipped in for Wells to attack on the six-yard box, although his headed effort sailed two yards over the bar.

The next couple of chances came for Rainworth as Scott Richards free kick left of centre was sent curling wide. One minute later, there was a mix up in the Nailers backline as ‘keeper Ratcliffe hesitated to come for a loose ball and ex-Belper marksman Ashley Longstaff stabbed the ball agonisingly over the bar by inches.

The second half produced four goals late on, as Rainworth looked to have the game wrapped up, until Peter Duffield’s substitutions tipped the game in Belper’s favour.

The first major talking point of the game came on the 59th minute as Simon Harrison was played through on goal and tripped inside the area by Kieran Walker, only for the penalty to be waved away by referee Dave Benton.

Substitute Mark Ward then had a goal disallowed as Aaron pride struck a fierce effort from range on the right hand side, which was parried out by Martin for Mark Ward to tap in.

However the linesman raised his flag for an offside decision, much to the Nailers’ fury.

Rainworth then took the lead on the 73rd minute. A corner from the left was looped in to area on the six-yard box for Kieran Walker to rise and gain a free header, to which he made no mistake.

The Nailers’ luck then looked to be all but gone as Longstaff’s impressive touch and turn onto his left foot took him away from the defender to engineer half a yard of space, and his powerful drive was drilled into the far right corner of the net on the 80th minute.

A huge turn of events in the game was then to occur, as a result of true character and determination by those in yellow, as Chris Adam turned out to be the Nailers’ latest hero.

The clock was ticking and the referee was judging the stoppage time allowance as the 89th minute was upon us.

Gareth Davies sent a long free kick into the penalty area, and the ball broke well for Chris Adam on the right hand side, who smashed in a brilliant first time half volley.

Finally, in the 93rd minute, an almost identical situation saw Chris Adam smash home another Davies free-kick, to earn Belper Town a point.

Belper Town: Dave Ratcliffe, Aaron Pride (Gareth Davies 86), Cameron Stuart, Colin Marrison, Shaun Roulston, Phil Watt, Simon Harrison, Steve Warne, Jon Froggatt, Kieran Wells (Mark Ward 65), Sam Duncum (Chris Adam 65). Subs: Scot Low, Luke Beatson.