Late goal earns Nailers a point

Jon Froggatt is congratulated by manager Peter Duffield for his late goal for Belper against Kings Lynn''Photo by Tim Harrison
Jon Froggatt is congratulated by manager Peter Duffield for his late goal for Belper against Kings Lynn''Photo by Tim Harrison

Belper Town salvaged a point in added-on time as Jon Froggatt netted in the 94th minute at the end of a hugely entertaining 3-3 draw against King’s Lynn, writes Nigel Oldrini.

The Nailers were looking for their first win of the season as they faced Lynn at the Marstson’s Stadium on Tuesday evening.

Recent signing Lee Thompson came in at right back and Colin Marrison started on the left of midfield due to Aaron Cole’s unavailability, while new signing Matt Varley was named as a substitute.

King’s Lynn arrived in Belper having won three and lost two of their opening five games.

The Nailers got off to a great start when Colin Marrison put Belper ahead after Evan Garnett’s driven cross bounced off a Lynn defender, leaving Marrison the opportunity to steer the ball past Alex Street.

George Thompson tested the Belper ‘keeper from 22 yards in the ninth minute and James Martin did well to push the ball away, and within moments the Nailers broke away through Rob Stevenson and Street had to save a first-time effort from Jon Froggatt.

The Nailers went close to doubling their lead on 20 minutes when Regan Edridge headed a corner towards the top corner but Street tipped the ball over.

Evan Garnett had the Lynn ‘keeper and full stretch with a snap shot across the face of goal and the visitors were glad to clear the resulting corner kick.

Lynn responded with a fine header from Dn Quigley in the 24th minute then moments later Nailers’ defender Dan White had a free header from an Ian Ross corner but he put the ball just wide of the target.

Rob Stevenson was denied by a fine stop from Alex Street as he went through unchallenged on the half hour then Jon Froggatt put a great cross from the byline in the 39th minute and Colin Marrison was inches away from converting.

George Thompson fired a good chance high over the top for Lynn on 42 minutes then Regan Edridge gave Lynn a chance to equalise after he pushed over Michael Frew inside the penalty area, and David Bell converted the spot kick to send the teams in all square at half time.

Lynn started the second period on the offensive, but it was Belper who almost regained the lead on 53 minutes after some great work from Ian Ross, who beat three defenders before seeing his drifting shot come back off the upright and go to safety.

But it was Lynn who stole the initiative in the 59th minute when David Bridges threaded his shot between a group of Belper defenders and put the ball beyond the unsighted Belper ‘keeper.

Belper kept pressing their visitors with Rob Stevenson prominent on the left and Ian Ross was denied with a good save from Alex Street in the 75th minute, as the Nailers almost caught the visitors out on the break.

George Thompson hit the outside of the post on 76 minutes then a quick counter attack saw Jon Froggatt intercept a crossfield pass on the edge of the penalty area and Kieran Wells picked up the loose ball and fired low into the corner for the equaliser.

Belper’s lead didn’t last long as Lynn were back level in the 83rd minute when George Thompson headed in a cross from David Bell to put the visitors back in front.

Belper piled on the pressure in the closing stages and they were rewarded deep into added-on time when Jon Froggatt nodded a Regan Edridge cross in at the far post to give the Nailers a deserved point.

Belper Town: Martin, Thompson ,(Jones 75), Dudley (Harrison 86), Ross, Edridge, White, Marrison, Warne, Froggatt, Garnett (Wells 61), Stevenson. Unused subs: Varley, Low

King’s Lynn Town: Street, Ramm, Yong, Brooks (Lee 45), Watson, Quigley, Bell, Bridges, Frew, Thompson (Mulready 88), Jones (Spriggs 86). Unused subs: Ward

Referee: Sean Richardson (Huthwaite)

Attendance: 268

Pictured is Jon Froggatt being congratulated by manager Peter Duffield for his late equaliser (Photo by Tim Harrison)