Late goals brings more home groans for Belper

Share this article

Evo-Stik NPL

First Division South

Belper Town 0

Coalville Town 2

BELPER Town can’t shake off their awful home form as they crashed to another home defeat against league newcomers Coalville Town who won the game with two late, and stunning strikes.

Former Goole midfielder Glyn Cotton was making his first home appearance following an impressive debut against Ilkeston FC on Bank Holiday Monday.

In the meantime manager Peter Duffield had recruited Alton Rennalls and Dominic Allen, both of whom were named as substitutes.

Dan White was unavailable so Greg Wright was drafted into the centre of defence while Jordan Turner who scored the match winning goal at the New Manor Ground had to be content with a place on the bench.

The Nailers were facing Coalville Town for the first time since 1954 when they met in the Central Alliance League, and after making a strong start to their first season in the Evo-Stik Division One South; the Ravens had slipped to sixteenth in the league table.

Former Belper player Shaun Roulston lined up in defence for the visitors while another player with Nailers’ connections, Danny Davidson was in the forward line.

The Nailers made a good start with Chris Adam getting over a couple of dangerous crosses, and a shot from Ashley Longstaff was saved at the foot of the post.

Tom Kellogg misjudged a deflected cross from Aaron Pride in the 7th minute and diverted the ball on to the cross bar, narrowly averting an own goal.

Coalville had the ball in the Belper net on 12 minutes following a corner kick but the referee disallowed the effort and penalised Danny Davidson for pushing as Gavin Saxby went to claim it.

Ashley Longstaff showed good skill in the 16th minute when he cushioned the ball and struck a hook shot straight at Sean Bowles from outside the area, and the Nailers continued to make the most of the running but nearly got caught out on 23 minutes when Anthony Carney’s cross was nodded over the cross bar by Cameron Stuart, who had run in unseen.

It was mainly Belper asking all the questions in the first half although despite the pressure, they had yet to create a clear cut chance, and Coalville also needed watching as they tried to catch the Nailers on the break.

Coalville skipper Cameron Stuart hit a venomous free kick that just swerved past the upright on 33 minutes but as the half entered the final stages of the half play became a little scrappy with neither team able to make much impression.

The visitors made a positive start to the second period, pushing Belper back straight from the kick off, and the Nailers took time to get back into their stride.

Aron Wint put over a dangerous cross into the six yard area in the 52nd minute but the referee’s assistant saw an offside, but Jon Froggatt nearly broke the deadlock in the 51st minute when he connected perfectly with a left foot shot 15 yards out, only to see Sean Bowles get to the ball and fist it away.

Chris Adam did well to weave his way past three defenders in the penalty area and still deliver a telling cross, but a Coalville defender made an important interception, however it seemed that the Nailers had shaken themselves out of their malaise.

In the 66th minute Karl Demidh went very close with a swerving shot that just cleared the angle and soon afterwards Peter Duffield instigated a personnel change by introducing Alton Rennalls for his debut in place of Aron Wint.

In a game of very few chances Ashley Longstaff should done better in the 78th minute when he had time and space on the left, but after cutting inside he sent a weak shot straight at Sean Bowles when there were other options available to him.

However the Nailers found themselves a goal behind on 82 minutes when they were caught cold by a Coalville break and Karl Demidh spotted Cameron Stuart out on the left, but no-one, possibly even Stuart could have predicted the power and accuracy of the shot that flew into the net from 20 yards out.

It was game set and match in the 89th minute when another swift counter attack that was similar to the one that led to the first goal, however this time, former Holbrook Sports man Karl Demidh cut inside and had a go himself and scored with a dipping shot over Gavin Saxby.

It was a devastating end to a game that had looked within Belper’s capabilities to win, but their home jinx had struck once again, although there was no doubting the quality of the two Coalville goals.

Match stats

Belper Town: Saxby, Pride, Weir (Rushbury 85), Meikle, Adams, Wright, Wint (Rennalls 69), Cotton, Froggatt, Longstaff, Adam (Turner 79). Unused subs: Allen, Richmond.

Coalville Town: Bowles, Wells, Stuart, Goodby, Kellogg, Roulston, Woodward, Carney, Davidson, Demidh (Robbins 89), Miveld. Unused subs: Blenkinsopp, Chatfield, Brown, Davies.

Referee: Carl Dunn (Newcastle under Lyme)

Attendance: 203

Match sponsor: Deb Group

Man of the match: Deon Meikle

Next in action

Saturday, January 14 - Evo-Stik League First Division South - BELPER TOWN v Kidsgrove Athletic, 3pm.